Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Considering going from mono to OSC

Rattler

I've had my 183m for nearly a year and only managed to get out twice with it. Mainly due to the weather. I captured 70 mins on the Pacman in Ha on Saturday night but the result isnt good. I struggled with focis with the Ha which is probably why there is little detail. I'm finding it frustrating and considering going to OSC at least then I'll have complete images. Any tips on focusing with the narrow band filters or opinions? Cheers.

Hello !!

Which HA Filter do you use ?? 

I have the 12nm from ASTRONOMIK and do not have any issues to focus manually +  a BAHTINOV MASK., all you need to find is a very bright star (SPICA, ARCTURUS).. and then with 2x2 binning to focus with the help of a BAHTINOV MASK.

The other solution will be,  to buy an electric focuser.

Regards

Martin

Edited by Guest

I don’t have this camera but I do what is said above by artem.

Last night I slewed to Deneb, and used a Bhatinov mask with my 7nm Ha filter. I kept binning to 1x1 but I set ROI over the star so it’s quick to download and display the image. 5s loop and live view and just take your time. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Any tips on focusing with the narrow band filters or opinions?

I've had mixed success with a Bahtinov mask and now regularly use SharpCap focussing aid to achieve focus with my ASI1600 (and I used it with my Atik 428ex mono until I sold it!). SharpCap is free but to get access to the focussing routines you need to pay the £10 per year subscription. I've used the single star FWHM aid and the multi-star FWHM aid and both work really well with the ASI1600 and with my ASI120.

I use SharpCap for playing with my all sky camera as well so I consider the £10 well worth the expense. Many on here swear by the ShapCap polar alignment aid as well which you gain access to if you pay the £10 subscription fee.

HTH

Adrian

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I've had mixed success with a Bahtinov mask and now regularly use SharpCap focussing aid to achieve focus with my ASI1600 (and I used it with my Atik 428ex mono until I sold it!). SharpCap is free but to get access to the focussing routines you need to pay the £10 per year subscription. I've used the single star FWHM aid and the multi-star FWHM aid and both work really well with the ASI1600 and with my ASI120.

I use SharpCap for playing with my all sky camera as well so I consider the £10 well worth the expense. Many on here swear by the ShapCap polar alignment aid as well which you gain access to if you pay the £10 subscription fee.

HTH

Adrian

Yeah I've got Sharpcap. I actually focused using the Bahtinov Aid in APT. I have a Focus Cube so I'm thinking of using N.I.N.A for capture as it has auto focusing.

What is a "Focus Cube " ?? an auto focuser ? but exactly, N.I.N.A or APT or SHARCAP offer also a FOCUS ASSISTANCE.. the most important matter is, to find a bright star.. in N.I.N.A for example and under MANUAL FOCUS option. there is a list of bright stars you can chose from and your mount will move to that star and you can start your focus action, I also use N.I.N.A " a great app :thumbsup:" by the way!

Here is a picture of a star I did focus with my BAHTINOV MASK + MONO CCD, can#T remember if I did use an HA Filer, but the result/process would be the same..

If you have an automatic focuser, then things are much easier, your software can take care of the perfect focus.

Regards

Martin

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Yeah I've got Sharpcap. I actually focused using the Bahtinov Aid in APT. I have a Focus Cube so I'm thinking of using N.I.N.A for capture as it has auto focusing.

I never got on with the Bahtinov Aid in APT. Instead I used the Focus Aid and concentrated on the HFR values. If you try it, turn of an stretching of the preview and pick a medium bright star. Zoom in and place the focus aid over the star. Adjust until you get the lowest value. It's essentially the same as focusing through an eyepiece. Try looping for 5 seconds but with a 5 second delay in between so when you adjust the scope has a chance to settle between captures. If you have an autofocuser then APT can di it all for you though you may need to keep an eye on it. I had a 95% success rate with APTs Auto focus routine.

29 minutes ago, artem said:

What is a "Focus Cube " ?? an auto focuser ? but exactly, N.I.N.A or APT or SHARCAP offer also a FOCUS ASSISTANCE.. the most important matter is, to find a bright star.. in N.I.N.A for example and under MANUAL FOCUS option. there is a list of bright stars you can chose from and your mount will move to that star and you can start your focus action, I also use N.I.N.A " a great app :thumbsup:" by the way!

Here is a picture of a star I did focus with my BAHTINOV MASK + MONO CCD, can#T remember if I did use an HA Filer, but the result/process would be the same..

If you have an automatic focuser, then things are much easier, your software can take care of the perfect fiocus.

Regards

Martin

Yeah the Focus Cube is an Auto Focuser by Pegasus Astro.

3 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I never got on with the Bahtinov Aid in APT. Instead I used the Focus Aid and concentrated on the HFR values. If you try it, turn of an stretching of the preview and pick a medium bright star. Zoom in and place the focus aid over the star. Adjust until you get the lowest value. It's essentially the same as focusing through an eyepiece. Try looping for 5 seconds but with a 5 second delay in between so when you adjust the scope has a chance to settle between captures. If you have an autofocuser then APT can di it all for you though you may need to keep an eye on it. I had a 95% success rate with APTs Auto focus routine.

The Auto Focus routine in APT is different to the likes of N.I.N.A and SGP. Is that correct?

I have both the 183m and 183c and have never had any trouble focusing even with a 3nm astrodon HA filter. 

The trick is to choose a very bright star, usually close to my target for the evening, and use that with a bahtinov mask. 

• Like 1

On 29/08/2019 at 08:46, Rattler said:

I'm gonna stick with mono for longer and give focusing a go with these methods. I'm also going to set up N.I.N.A for auto focusing. Cheers guys.

Hi Rattler

You could give Voyager a try. Its free to setup and and then when you think you a ready you can activate your trial period. Very fast focus routine and has never failed to find focus on my NB filters (Baader). Very impressive, very stable. Automates to whole Imaging process and from Roof open to Roof close.

http://www.starkeeper.it/software.htm

Just a satisfied user

Graham

• Like 1