Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

LR Watanabe

EOS 5D Mark II or EOS 600D

I’m looking to do Milky Way Astrophotography, and I’m hesitating on whether I purchase the Full Frame camera that is the 5D Mark II or the APS-C EOS 600D.

I plan on using the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm F/2.8 wide angle lens, although I’m open to suggestions so long as said suggested lens is under 500$.

The mount I use will be the iOptron SkyGuider Pro with the counter weight supplies in the set.

If there is an alternative to the cameras listed above that goes for less then 400$, I’m willing to hear it.

Thanks a bundle,

Leon

I’m hesitant about choosing the T3i as I’ve read negative reviews of its censor and how it apparently is “shoddy.”

Hi

Wide field? If the Rokinon is up to it,  the 5d will get you horizon to horizon in 2 frames with plenty left over for stitching:)

HTH

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Why the 5D when the 6D is essentially the same full-frame sensor? I have the 6D (mk1) and Samyang 24mm f/1.4, which is probably just within your lens budget

cheers, Magnus

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply, Alacant. I chose the 5D as it is relatively inexpensive while also having some astounding pictures on Astrobin. However, taking your advice, I might just change ny mind and purchase the 6D Mk I.

Thanks,

Leon.

On 26/08/2019 at 11:58, LR Watanabe said:

I’m hesitant about choosing the T3i as I’ve read negative reviews of its censor and how it apparently is “shoddy.”

I would have thought full-frame is the way to go for Milky Way photography, but in defence of the 600d I use one and there's nothing shoddy about its sensor.

• Like 2

Agree FF the way to go for wide Milky Way shots........ and definitely if you are doing single exposure stuff. FF are generally better than crop sensors in terms of high ISO noise control. I'm not sure you'll get better than the old 6D MK1 for the money. A few years ago it was THE Canon camera to have for nightscapes/landscapey astro stuff and you can get 2nd hand 6Ds relatively cheap now on ebay etc.

I have used a 6D MK1 for a long time now with both the wide Rokinon/Samyang lenses (24mm & 14mm) and it works well. The 6D and the 24mm is still my goto for Milky way shots today, that 24mm lens is just great for capturing the MW. I've recently got a 5D Mk4 but haven't had time to compare it with the trusty old 6D for milky way stuff yet.

The wide angle night sky shots in my Flickr albums are nearly all using the 6d and rokinon/samyang lenses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132427272@N04/albums

I also have the 600D and it's fine, I use it for astrophotography with telescopes but always stack lots of long exposure subs to reduce noise. I tried using it for landscapey astro stuff once, I had to stack high ISO images but I wasn't all that impressed with the final image quality when compared to the 6D. I wasn't using a tracker and needed short exposures at high ISO to get detail, it may well hold up better using a tracker and lower ISOs ? Here it is....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132427272@N04/45684772515/in/album-72157654649850948/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

I tried using it for landscapey astro stuff once, I had to stack high ISO images

I love that wide shot of Orion- it's wonderful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Soooo....

Since you guys are really smashing the praise button on the Canon EOS 6D, I might as well get the 6D as it is relatively new compared to the 5D Mark II.

But then the thing is, I really can't find someone who sells a second hand Canon EOS 6D at a price of <450$ (45,000 Yens). Could someone give me a link of someone selling a used 6D at the aforementioned price? It means a lot to me if you do, as my brain is already starting to hurt from all the back and forth i've been doing between AP gear.

Clear skies,

LR

4 minutes ago, LR Watanabe said:

Soooo....

Since you guys are really smashing the praise button on the Canon EOS 6D, I might as well get the 6D as it is relatively new compared to the 5D Mark II.

But then the thing is, I really can't find someone who sells a second hand Canon EOS 6D at a price of <450$ (45,000 Yens). Could someone give me a link of someone selling a used 6D at the aforementioned price? It means a lot to me if you do, as my brain is already starting to hurt from all the back and forth i've been doing between AP gear.

Clear skies,

LR

The 6D is a bit newer and has better low light performance than the 5D mk2.

https://www.lonelyspeck.com/canon-eos-6d-review/

Maybe ebay is your best bet ? I just did a quick search of sold 6Ds on there in the UK and they seem to be ranging from £200 - £400, not sure what that is in US dollars ? Plenty sold on there in the £300 - £400 range tho.

Also check out the Rokinon/Samyang 24mm F1.4 if you want to do wide angle stuff. I started with the 14mm for my landscapey stuff but as soon as I got the 24mm the 14mm was parked in the camera bag and only came out for wide WIDE angle shots (mainly star trails and the like).

https://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-24mm-f1-4-ed-as-umc-review/