SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Uranus Neptune and Triton

mdstuart

I was out with my new big 20 inch dob and I thought I would see how it performs on planets. Well it gave me splendid views using the 7mm eyepiece giving about 285x magnification.

Uranus was a lovely sharp white disk. I could not see any green colour or any moons but the sharp disk was super.

Neptune was more even more enjoyable as the smaller disk was a distinct blue colour. I was just able with averted vision to see Triton trailing behind but close to the planet.

So a tick for this dob for planet views.

Mark

P.S Do not tell the dob mob or Owen B I looked at planets through a big dob as it will get me in trouble.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one!

I've had some memorable views of a sharp greenish disc on Uranus with 4 maybe 5 moons in averted vision, plus Neptune and Triton on a run of nights with good seeing in my 15".  Looking fwd to trying again this year.

Might not be the visual treat that Jupiter or Saturn is, but there something about seeing them with your very own eyes... quite special imho.  We know so little about them really.

Edited by niallk
  • Like 3

On 03/09/2019 at 21:11, niallk said:

Nice one!

I've had some memorable views of a sharp greenish disc on Uranus with 4 maybe 5 moons in averted vision, plus Neptune and Triton on a run of nights with good seeing in my 15".  Looking fwd to trying again this year.

Might not be the visual treat that Jupiter or Saturn is, but there something about seeing them with your very own eyes... quite special imho.  We know so little about them really.

Very true - I find there is something very special about them, to me they look like little three dimensional coloured balls scudding along across the Fov. 

Chris

• Like 1