Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zwo Helical Focuser

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-125-helical-focuser.html

If anyone uses the Zwo Oag then they'll know just how frustrating it can be to focus. My guide stars were always banana shaped and i used to dread making any changes to my imaging rig for fear of needing to refocus. 

Pure luck while browsing online brought me what i thought would be the solution Zwo helical focuser for Asi mini cameras. Stupidly i paid no attention to the word mini as if i had i would have realised that these are a completely new line of camera and while my old Asi 120 would fit the focuser it would not come to focus. This meant another purchase. Not so bad i felt as a backup camera is great to have.

First clear night to test and everything worked well. I did have to download new drivers to get the camera to connect but i got this all sorted during daylight. I have to say the focuser is wonderful, i achieved focus in seconds and locked it in place with the thumbscrew provided. 

If anyone had the issues i had then this is a great solution and great value at £59. Although upgrading the camera cost an additional £149 i have no regrets.

20190825_171906.thumb.jpg.b029a512af3758d33bab72356b13940e.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I've been using the Borg equivalent non rotating helical focuser on Spectra-L200 instrument for almost ten years.

They work, and work very well.

(when connecting to the external T thread, the eyepiece screws need to be removed - and replaced by dabs of BluTak to limit light intrusion)