Narrowband

Skeye app "push to" mode for my skywatcher 8 inch dobsonian

Hi, i just presented myself yesterday in newcomers. I have a skywatcher classic200p dobsonian scope. I have installed on my phone the Skeye app. Skeye has the feature to work in "push to" mode, similar to the Orion Intelliscope system. 

What is the best system to attach my smartphone to the tube? Phone cover+velcro?

I read that the performance can be wrong due to phone magnetic sensors and the metal tube of the scope. 

Some trick? 

Thanx in advance to all. Best regards. 

Yes, the phone sensor is most likely not accurate enough to point your telescope, other than just a general direction like so many star charting apps do. The metal of the tube will certainly make things even worse.

But there's nothing wrong with giving it a try. Maybe the alignment is good enough to find an object in your finder scope.  Velcro or a strap around the tube are probably the best ways to attach your phone to the OTA. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Waddensky said:

Yes, the phone sensor is most likely not accurate enough to point your telescope, other than just a general direction like so many star charting apps do. The metal of the tube will certainly make things even worse.

But there's nothing wrong with giving it a try. Maybe the alignment is good enough to find an object in your finder scope.  Velcro or a strap around the tube are probably the best ways to attach your phone to the OTA. Good luck!

Thank you very much, your explanation is really useful, i will try, and see how accurate that system can be. I post my experience in next days. 

Best regards. Thanx again. 👍🏻🙂

• Like 2

I did try this with quite good success. I was able to find a good amount of objects using it. I seem to think i attached it using a phone adapter for taking pictures through the eye piece (with it moved to the side so you can still see through the eye piece). I think this is how i did it. 

I started a thread about another way of creating a push to system using an inclinometer and a encoder.  See this link for the info 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/296417-modifications-to-my-200p-dobsonian/

• Thanks 1