Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader OIII filters - A Cautionary Tale

Melitastro

I bought my 1.25" Baader NB filter set in March 2014 from IKI. Owing to illness I didn't get to use them until Dec that year when I found terrible halos with the O3 filter. In fairness to Baader, they did recognise that it came from the 'bad batch' and replaced it without issue. The replacement is great🙂

CS, Andy

I bought a set of Baader LRGB and NB from IKI in a bundle with SX694 and wheel in 2014. Big halos from the [OIII] filter so bought a full set of 3nm Astrodons. Couldn't afford to do that now :eek:.

There was a known issue with the Baader NB filters creating Halos, originally the owner refused to accept that there was an issue, until it was pointed out very clearly to him by my mate.

Suffice to say the filters were exchange without any quibble and the problem was resolved.

Thus the reason why I went down the Chroma route.

Edited by Jkulin

15 hours ago, DaveS said:

I bought a set of Baader LRGB and NB from IKI in a bundle with SX694 and wheel in 2014. Big halos from the [OIII] filter so bought a full set of 3nm Astrodons. Couldn't afford to do that now :eek:.

I got my Baader nb filters along with my SX694 around 2010. I had an issue with the Jellyfish nebula and halos. I thought all 3 nb filters had the halos! But there is an extremely bright star! I wonder when the faulty batch started....

97BC61AF-D25C-4B48-BFC6-3259B38AA1D2.png

On 24/08/2019 at 12:22, continuum said:

I also have the same experience and have been pondering on other makes of OIII filters. Because Astrodon prices are stratospheric I have been considering Astronomik or Optolong.  Does anyone have experience of these brands?

Ron

I have both Baader and Astronomik OIII filters. Neither is very good. Halos a go-go. Chroma have good reviews. I was up for trying the Baader 5nm but they don't seem to exist in 1.25 mounted. I guess there's a technical problem stopping production.

Olly

On 10/01/2020 at 17:59, Skipper Billy said:

I had the same issue with a 2" mounted Baader OIII - exchanged without any fuss by FLO - the replacement is MUCH better.

Yes a remember commenting on that one, it was an extreme example. Glad its now improved with the replacement.