Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Magnificent M8

Littleguy80

Second dark site trip of the week for me. I'd had a quick look at the Ganymede transit and GRS from home before loading up the car to head for darker skies. I arrived around 9:45. My fellow observers were both seeking targets in Sagittarius so I decided to follow suit. Looking up at the Milky Way I could follow it all the way down to the horizon. It's safe to say the skies were looking good! I pointed the scope at Sagittarius with no real plan of what to observe. The first target to appear in the RACI finder was M8, the Lagoon. A quick look through the eyepiece confirmed the target and the finder alignment. I decided to add my Lumicon OIII filter to pair with my APM HDC 20mm eyepiece. The view took my breath away. Seeing nebulosity within the Lagoon is nothing unusual, you don't even need a filter, but the amount I was now seeing was amazing. A thick patch around one end. A large curve of nebulosity coming around the thicker patch of nebulosity creating a dark lane through the center of the nebula. It was simply stunning. My observing buddies both came over for a look too. This was by far the best view of the Lagoon I've ever had and not one I will quickly forget.

I went on to observe the Triffid. For the first time I was able to see the dark lines within it using an HB filter. These were quite distinct with averted vision. Going unfiltered onto M24, I picked out the dark nebula B92 and B93. The open cluster, NGC6603, seemed to glow within M24. The Eagle and Swan nebulae followed.

I set my Equinox 80 up with Astronomik OIII and ES82 30mm for some widefield views in Cygnus. I went straight to the Veil. Seeing the Veil in a single FOV under dark skies has been on my wish list for awhile. I was very, VERY pleased to finally achieve this. A very different experience to the detailed views through the dob earlier in the week but very enjoyable. Some light cloud was starting to creep over the sky now. A quick tour of the NAN with the Equinox 80 followed by the Helix and Saturn nebulae in the dob finished the session. Despite a premature end due to the cloud, I was very glad I made the effort for those wonderful views of Magnificent M8!

• Like 11

Wonderful stuff Neil. As you say, very different perspectives between the dob and refractor, both have their attractions. I agree, seeing the whole Veil in one field of view is lovely. M8 is a corker under good conditions, glad you got a good view of it.

I may, emphasis on may, have a chance to get the 14" away somewhere dark soon, so if it is clear I will see what I can see in that area too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

Seeing the Veil in a single FOV under dark skies has been on my wish list for awhile. I was very, VERY pleased to finally achieve this.

Awesome report Neil!

Check out this sketch of Mel Bartels... a 25" f2.8- holy! Man he pulls out details and find myself chasing them- and most always see the features.

image.png.8ca77e234893ce64e7eea1a45508952d.png

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

Wonderful stuff Neil. As you say, very different perspectives between the dob and refractor, both have their attractions. I agree, seeing the whole Veil in one field of view is lovely. M8 is a corker under good conditions, glad you got a good view of it.

I may, emphasis on may, have a chance to get the 14" away somewhere dark soon, so if it is clear I will see what I can see in that area too.

Thanks Stu :) Fingers crossed you get out with the 14”. You’ll have a great time with that under dark skies!

16 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Awesome report Neil!

Check out this sketch of Mel Bartels... a 25" f2.8- holy! Man he pulls out details and find myself chasing them- and most always see the features.

image.png.8ca77e234893ce64e7eea1a45508952d.png

Thanks Gerry. That sketch is stunning!! 25” at F2.8!!! What a scope that must be!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks Gerry. That sketch is stunning!! 25” at F2.8!!! What a scope that must be!

There is a little challenge in this sketch for you :evil::grin:

Way before this sketch, a couple of years ago I reported seeing very very faint nebulosity near the end of the Eastern Veil, @Stu helped me with confirmation - your 10" will show this area as extremely faint, almost as a ghostly line- right at the limits of your scope.

I'm so happy Mel has it in this sketch! It will not show like this, but its there. Its the detached patch at the very top of the Eastern Veil in the sketch- give it a try!!

Great obs of the Lagoon Neil, more and more will reveal itself top you. Can you see it naked eye?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jetstream said:

There is a little challenge in this sketch for you :evil::grin:

Way before this sketch, a couple of years ago I reported seeing very very faint nebulosity near the end of the Eastern Veil, @Stu helped me with confirmation - your 10" will show this area as extremely faint, almost as a ghostly line- right at the limits of your scope.

I'm so happy Mel has it in this sketch! It will not show like this, but its there. Its the detached patch at the very top of the Eastern Veil in the sketch- give it a try!!

Great obs of the Lagoon Neil, more and more will reveal itself top you. Can you see it naked eye?

I do like a challenge :) Is it the small section just above the Eastern Veil in the sketch? I'm hoping to get back to my dark site over the weekend so will give it a go!

I didn't see the Lagoon naked eye but have to admit I didn't have a concerted effort to see it either. Will also try for that at the weekend too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Is it the small section just above the Eastern Veil in the sketch?

Yes it is right at the top of the left side of the sketch above and close to the Eastern Veil. If M8 is not naked eye you might have extinction further up as well and with this there is very limited chances of seeing this faint patch. There is also another very faint detached patch right off the very tip of the Eastern Veil that is not shown, difficult as well.

The 24" shows more nebulosity than the sketch but differently, more delicate perhaps and more detailed.

Eagerly waiting reports!

• Like 1