SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Modifications to the Heritage 130P

I have been modifying my Heritage over some time and I thought I would show what I have done.

Starting with the Dob base.

1. I have added an Alt scale and Az scale.
  2. Improved the secure knob on the base.
  3. Added a compass
  4. Added a spirit level.

On the main OTA

1. Added new adjustment screws to the secondary (my Bob's Knobs)
  2. Added a finder bracket for my 9x50 finderscope
  3. Flocked the area behind secondary
  4. Painted the edge of the secondary
  5. Flocked the inside of the scope
  6. Added a neoprene shroud
  7. Added yellow stickers to make sure the mirror cell and tube go back into the same screw position
  8. Added plumbers tape to the focuser
  9. Finally added an additional dovetail to use on a flat alt/az tripod

Hopefully these photos will show what I have done. Looking at the photos perhaps I need to clear the main mirror and secondary 🤔

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good job! But your setting circles are back to front. You either need to reverse the scale or put it on the bottom plate of the base. I prefer placing it on the bottom and putting a pointer on the top. This way the pointer is always at teh same spot relative to eyepiece.

Done similar mods to my heritage earlier this year Mark. Flocked the tube, added finder brackets for a 6x30 RACI & RDF, put a compass & bubble level on base & screws for secondary. Also adapted a tripod to mount it. Great little scope. Really handy for quick grab & go! Lent mine out at the moment though. 

8D4DBFFC-E444-4616-BBA4-B3DDC8000B90.jpeg

093A4E9C-8B40-4BBD-9968-F81EC332FDC4.jpeg

485F5015-F404-4B5A-A2AF-9B785F88A6E2.jpeg

5B9200B8-5434-439E-B3F7-2821A73D3D69.jpeg

2EEBD6BA-E427-43C1-9027-68B17BB6AF6A.jpeg

• Like 4

@Sky-searcherexcellent modifications really looks good.

@pregullathanks so much for your comments and suggestions. I have now changed the scale to the corrent positions. In addition I have made a pointer which is secured to the bottom with the pointer on the top as you suggested.

I have tested the system by viewing the Moon and Sun using the Alt/Az co-ordinates from Stellarium - it works

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 23/08/2019 at 11:05, Mark at Beaufort said:

I have been modifying my Heritage over some time and I thought I would show what I have done.

Starting with the Dob base.

1. I have added an Alt scale and Az scale.
  2. Improved the secure knob on the base.
  3. Added a compass
  4. Added a spirit level.

On the main OTA

1. Added new adjustment screws to the secondary (my Bob's Knobs)
  2. Added a finder bracket for my 9x50 finderscope
  3. Flocked the area behind secondary
  4. Painted the edge of the secondary
  5. Flocked the inside of the scope
  6. Added a neoprene shroud
  7. Added yellow stickers to make sure the mirror cell and tube go back into the same screw position
  8. Added plumbers tape to the focuser
  9. Finally added an additional dovetail to use on a flat alt/az tripod

Hopefully these photos will show what I have done. Looking at the photos perhaps I need to clear the main mirror and secondary 🤔

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

Hi Mark, I know this is an old post but I was impressed with your mods. I am totally hopeless as DIY, but wanted to ask how you got hold of the Bob's knobs for the secondary mirror?
Are they from the Bob's Knobs website in America or are they standard thumb screws? If so what size and where can I get them from?

One other question, where did you get the shroud material from?

Thank you

Hello

No I did not buy Bob's Knobs but bought them through this website http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/3338/adjusting-screw-steel-metric-wds-605/?sku=30911 . The reference model is 605-200435

With regard to the Neoprene this was bought in a roll. I need to find my order - I will get back to you when I find it.

Just found the order which was from Homecrafts.co.uk - unfortunately it looks like the company is closing down and the neoprene rolls are not available. Maybe you can get it elsewhere this is what I originally ordered - Neoprene Rolls Black 1200 x 1250mm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

as there is already this thread on the 130p i post here

i am reinforcing the focuser assembly with two more alu trusses and 3d printed brackets. i opened a thread in the DIY section

but the best would be to replace this focuser with a rack and pinion type. 

i have seen metal rack and pinion focusers on ebay around 30/35 dollars, does anyone have experience with those? are they any good? 

gmr