Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Grumpy Martian

Venus exploration.

I have always been of the opinion that the exploration of Venus always comes second to that of Mars. Perhaps it should be the other way round as Mars is foreboding war while Venus is love. I'm all for that ūüėā.¬†

But if you Google Venus surface pictures they show that there have been landers in the past. Is it that we will send landers when technology can build craft that can survive the extreme hostile conditions? 

I hope that we go back again in my lifetime. Not sure that people will go there. 

• Like 1

I want to see a Venus terraforming program started. The lessons to be learnt are huge and rather relevant.

• Like 1

I suspect it might be easier to terraform Venus. We need to seed the atmosphere with genetically engineered microbes that can turn the mixture of CO2 and sulphuric acid into something less toxic while increasing their numbers and producing oxygen. We don't have to land on the surface, the atmosphere is dense enough to support airships.

14 minutes ago, DaveS said:

We need to seed the atmosphere with genetically engineered microbes that can turn the mixture of CO2 and sulphuric acid into something less toxic while increasing their numbers and producing oxygen. 

That will be simple just put a range of candidate microbes in such an atmosphere and let evolution do its stuff.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s

True, but we can give evolution a helping hand by "loading the dice" with microbes that are more likely to succeed.

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

That will be simple just put a range of candidate microbes in such an atmosphere and let evolution do its stuff.

Regards Andrew 

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

True, but we can give evolution a helping hand by "loading the dice" with microbes that are more likely to succeed.

If it is true that a spacecraft has 'contaminated' the Moon with tardigrades [a.k.a. water bears], as mentioned in the news a few weeks ago following a crash landing or whatever, could they survive the hostile climate of Venus? ...and help to terraform it? 

They do seem to be tough little critters and one of the many building blocks of life.

Edited by Philip R

The poor little things on the moon are not active, they are shutdown and just won't die straight away. To give anything a chance of doing more than last a bit in the lead melting furnace of Venus, they would need a considerable head start I think.