Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

very Confuse which filter to get

Hi Everyone, i am new and beginner here,I know this question is silly, i have watched the *you tube* to get clear photos of the nebula in deep space. Do they work well and what type of filter can i get, i have got canon 5D mark 3 and using the 50mm nifty fifty. Love to get the ***Orion Nebula, M42***. Thank you for your help

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. With a 50mm lens M42 will be just a very small smudge. You can get clip in filters for Canon cameras but they are expensive. The 50mm will give you good widefield views of the Milky Way if you are at a nice dark site. Use a tripod and bump the ISO up to 1600 or even 3200 to get the most out of short exposures. Without a mount that tracks you will need to keep them short to avoid stars making trails rather than being points of light. Try 30 seconds with the lens wide open at F2.8. If you get nice sharp stars you could try longer using bulb setting. If they trail then reduce to 20 etc. you could get lovely deliberate star trail picture by pointing towards Polaris and taking a series of images of a minute or more each and combining them in Photoshop or other imaging software.