Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seeing is Believing

Hi everyone …

So , last night I had my best ever night of observing . I set up my mount  about an hour before use … levelled and balanced the scope (130pds ) … I successfully Polar aligned ( all these things are getting easier and faster to do ) . The air was still and fairly mild and every target I set on my GOTO was found without problems . This really was a bit of a triumph for me as I've always had issues in polar alignment and I was getting a bit disillusioned, if I'm completely honest . I was like a child in a sweet shop as I busily scanned the skies for any visible planet (Jupiter and Saturn ) and double stars and galaxies (I love you Andromeda ) I could see in the short viewing time I had . Getting up at 5am has many drawbacks , one being having to sleep before midnight ! I only used low power EPs last night but the sheer thrill of what I saw last night was enough in itself.

So , apart from the obvious , why am I writing this …well , I suppose the reason is the one thing I am rapidly learning with this amazing hobby is to be patient . I sometimes look at glossy pictures from the likes of the Hubble and to be honest , I would rather actually see a grey fuzzy patch and tease extra detail from my light polluted back garden . Sorry if this is preaching to the converted , but , I just wanted to share my glory .

Clear skies to all !

• Like 24

Excellent stuff Stu! Always good to hear of successful observing sessions. Low mag has it's big pluses and can be a very enjoyable way to scan the skies, especially at the moment with the Milky Way nicely positioned at a reasonable time. Seeing M31 at low power under a dark sky is excellent, catching M32 and M110 in the same view even better. Did you catch these two?

Carry on with the reports, great to read.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Excellent stuff Stu! Always good to hear of successful observing sessions. Low has it's big pluses and can be a very enjoyable way to scan the skies, especially at the moment with the Milky Way nicely positioned at a reasonable time. Seeing M31 at low power under a dark sky is excellent, catching M32 and M110 in the same view even better. Did you catch these two?

Carry on with the reports, great to read.

Stu , didn't get to see M32 + M110.. sorry to say … I cannot wait for September when the skies darken at around 8pm . hoping for longer session at the weekend , especially as the skies are looking good . I am going to try a bit of imaging but , I really want to "know" the sky more .

On 21/08/2019 at 13:18, Stu1smartcookie said:

Getting up at 5am has many drawbacks , one being having to sleep before midnight !

And I thought getting up at 1:30am for a 3:30 or 4:00am start was normal... 😜

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 13:18, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi everyone …

So , last night I had my best ever night of observing . I set up my mount  about an hour before use … levelled and balanced the scope (130pds ) … I successfully Polar aligned ( all these things are getting easier and faster to do ) . The air was still and fairly mild and every target I set on my GOTO was found without problems . This really was a bit of a triumph for me as I've always had issues in polar alignment and I was getting a bit disillusioned, if I'm completely honest . I was like a child in a sweet shop as I busily scanned the skies for any visible planet (Jupiter and Saturn ) and double stars and galaxies (I love you Andromeda ) I could see in the short viewing time I had . Getting up at 5am has many drawbacks , one being having to sleep before midnight ! I only used low power EPs last night but the sheer thrill of what I saw last night was enough in itself.

So , apart from the obvious , why am I writing this …well , I suppose the reason is the one thing I am rapidly learning with this amazing hobby is to be patient . I sometimes look at glossy pictures from the likes of the Hubble and to be honest , I would rather actually see a grey fuzzy patch and tease extra detail from my light polluted back garden . Sorry if this is preaching to the converted , but , I just wanted to share my glory .

Clear skies to all !

It’s great when things come together. 

• Like 1