Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Intense Veil structure

jetstream

My observatory is coming along with the addition of a 20' shipping container for scope storage, what a handy thing this is.When I ordered the 24" scope I had no idea how much it would have over the 15" ....

When viewing the Veil tonight I was very surprised at the intense structure it offered, much more detailed than in the 15" and as an example the western veil showed forked little splits at the tips of the 2 main broom splits. This is the first time I noticed these features. The "lower" 52 Cygni side broom split showed incredible twisted structure, holy! Pickerings Wisp was finely, brightly structured too!

My attention was riveted on this object as well as M13, another stunner.

The sky was good with avg trans and dark for this time of year 21.5ish and the Lunt 20mm, Lumicon OIII worked splendidly. The extra aperture is really surprising me with its DSO performance compared to the 15", in side by side comparisons.

Can't wait for tomorrow night- the trans is supposed to be VG..

• Like 9

Thats great to hear Gerry but why should it surprise you ?

Even your average skies are pretty dark and 24 inches is a whopping increase in terms of light gathering area over 15 inches. Similar to the difference between my 12 inch and a 20 inch and I've been left in no doubt about the additional capabilities of that additional 8 inches of aperture when I've had the chance to observe with a 20 :icon_biggrin:

It's good for kit to make you pleasantly surprised though - much better than the other way around !

• Like 1

Good to learn that your observatory is coming along Gerry. I think that I understand John's comment, you would understandably have had expectations in comparison over the 15" capability, yet clearly as you have descriptively conveyed, those expectations may have been succeeded, surprisingly so, particularly if not at very good levels of transparency. Look forward to further reports.

• Like 1

It is always encouraging to read report such as yours as it gives me things to look forward to. Having made a substantial step up in aperture recently I am getting a good idea of what to expect. Just waiting for the darker nights..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

Thats great to hear Gerry but why should it surprise you ?

Even your average skies are pretty dark and 24 inches is a whopping increase in terms of light gathering area over 15 inches. Similar to the difference between my 12 inch and a 20 inch and I've been left in no doubt about the additional capabilities of that additional 8 inches of aperture when I've had the chance to observe with a 20 :icon_biggrin:

It's good for kit to make you pleasantly surprised though - much better than the other way around !

I guess I was just over excited when seeing the Veil like this John! 😃

We can figure out magnitude gains, exit pupil,image scale blah blah blah but when it comes together and the view is like this it is a wow moment! and yes seeing an object this well with a mirror, eyepiece and eyeball does surprise me lol!

Pickerings Wisp is a whole 'nother surprise in itself!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Good to learn that your observatory is coming along Gerry. I think that I understand John's comment, you would understandably have had expectations in comparison over the 15" capability, yet clearly as you have descriptively conveyed, those expectations may have been succeeded, surprisingly so, particularly if not at very good levels of transparency. Look forward to further reports.

Iain, I can tell you this- my expectations are by far and away exceeded!!

All clouds tonight- can't wait for some dark, fall transparency before the snow comes.

• Like 1