Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revolutions: The Telescope BBC Four

johninderby

Blasted BBC at it again :mad:. Was supposed to be how to see a black hole following Jim A-K, but no, damn stupid "peaky blinders" :mad: :mad:. Why is the beeb putting damn stupid rubbish drama (Hawk-spit-ding) on a supposedly intelectual channel? :mad:

I sense another complaint coming on.

• Like 3

It was a excellent documentary, I thought.

What amazed me was the fact that it took a whole three hundred years after inventing lenses for spectacles before someone thought to put two lenses together and make a telescope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Persoanlly I found the upbeat American-style of presentation extremely irritating. Pity really because for me it spoiled what was interesting content, some of which I didn't know. 

Perhaps they hope to sell it in the USA?

58 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Disappointing - not up to Jim AK's other programmes.

Agreed. I could not see the point in dissecting the replica of Galileo's telescope or the gold dust effect that accompanied it.

Why not show Newtons original and the working of one of the current generation of giant telescopes? 

Regards  Andrew 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Agreed. I could not see the point in dissecting the replica of Galileo's telescope or the gold dust effect that accompanied it.

Why not show Newtons original and the working of one of the current generation of giant telescopes? 

Regards  Andrew 

Exactly. Lots of missed opportunities. I doubt I'll watch anything else in the series.

The only somewhat redeeming feature was the coverage of Henrietta Leavitt and her variable stars.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaveS said:

But are they supposed to include the morons in a thinking person's channel?

Unfortunately there are more morons than thinking persons. As far as the Beeb is concerned, the important thing is "bums on seats" even if they are only in front of the telly.   😟

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

This could have something to do with it. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/bbcstudios/2019/discovery

Yes. It had the feel that it was made for a non-British audience.  Even Jim AK had been told to up his normally enthusiastic manner I thought to one of overly gushing enthusiasm on steroids.