Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beach observing

-philip-

I live a few miles from Exmouth beach, I've been thinking about taking my brand spanky new grab-and-go 127 mak down for a night of observing with a flask of something hot.. Is there anything in particular I should be thinking about when setting up on the beach? It seems like a great place to have views without any trees etc in the way..?

I did some beach observing when on holiday.

It got me away from the island light pollution.

Wide field time exposures with palm trees in the frame were unusual holiday snaps to bring back.

Standing on a beach lounger was a good idea as the crabs kept investigating my feet.

Just try to avoid salt spray and sand but otherwise should be ok. I prefer to pick a headland for those reasons, although I did try for the lunar eclipse from the front at Dawlish Warren a while back. Largely clouded out unfortunately. Hope it goes well!

• Like 1

When I observe by the coast I don't actually go down onto the beach, I find it much safer on the green leading up to it. Don't have to worry about the tide either - which is easier to get caught out than you think - especially in the dark

• Like 2

Done it many times when on holiday.  Obviously in windy conditions you need to be concerned about sand and spray, but otherwise no real issues.  I do always set up above the high tide line but I also keep track of the tides while on vacation so I have not suddenly found my feet getting wet.

• Like 1