SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Old Zenith 12x50 bins help needed.

Zaidi

Hi, I’m Zaidi. I’m intrested to buy a secondhand super zenith binocular 12*50 but i’m not expert about the binoculars. I want to see the nature from a long distance place. I also want to see the sky and a moon from this budget binocular. Is it possible if I buy this model. 

Thanks.

Hello, Zaidi.

Any binocular can be used for terrestrial nature and the sky but you need to learn how to assess the quality of binoculars before you buy them. 12x50 are good specs, a rather large diameter and a rather high magnification, but can you test the binocs in person? How old are they? Are the eyecups rigid plastic or soft rubber? How large is the field, how many meters at 1000 meters? Are the coatings pale blue (only one layer), or another color?

There are other things to check so please describe the thing in as much detail as possible.

Hello Zaida, welcome to this forum.  Zenith binoculars are mass produced entry level instruments. As such, they can be variable in quality but usually perfectly adequate. If you are not experienced it may not be helpful for us to be too technical. If, as Ben suggests, you can try them yourself you will be able to judge whether they suit you. The safest way forward is to have an understanding with the seller that you can return them for a refund if you are not satisfied. 12x50 is about the maximum size and magnification that can be hand held, some form of tripod arrangement would make a big improvement.   😀 

Hello, Zaida, and welcome to this friendly forum!

I've just looked up some ebay offers for data of the 12x50; as it seems, they have a true field of view of 5°; the coatings are blue (indicating a single layer coating, as usual in the 1960-1980 era; quite sufficient for many purposes); and the eyecups seem to be rigid plastic - just to answer some of Ben's questions. Are they apparently in good shape? Can you test them, or can you get at least a reliable return policy? They will need a tripod or monopod, as stated above.

I own quite a few vintage Japanese binoculars, and many of them offer a really good optical and build quality.

Some photographs posted here would be quite helpful.

Stephan

Btw, there is another Malaysian stargazer on this forum,  ZiHao.