Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 6SE (used) vs Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150i WiFi

Hi,
This is Azimul.

I had a Skywatcher Skyliner 150P reflector. (now sold for heavy weighting problem to move)
Available kit to use with the newer one:
BST Starguider 5mm,
Revelation 30mm eyepiece 2",
Ostara quality 2x barlow,
2" adapter.
Canon 100d DSLR
Extension tube for eyepiece/camera focusing

Now, I have planned to buy a new one, something in budget of ~£400.  I can search for a used one if highly priced. I need:
01. To observe planets
02. To observe nebulae
03. Little bit astrophgotography (optional)

Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Edited by shopnochari_meghdut

Well, a C6 SE will easily break down into three sections: telescope , mount and tripod.  But note that I can pick up a complete C8 SE assembly and carry it outside through a doorway. (or I used to be able to before my right arm started giving me problems). The C6 tube will be lighter than the equivalent aperture Newtonian.

As for astrophotography, please note that the C6 SE will be useless for deep-space astrophotography and a pain to use for planetary imaging. The mount is only intended for visual use (and to be portable).  If you are serious about astrophotography you should just buy something else, either in addition to the C6 and SE mount, or instead of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Well, a C6 SE will easily break down into three sections: telescope , mount and tripod.  But note that I can pick up a complete C8 SE assembly and carry it outside through a doorway. (or I used to be able to before my right arm started giving me problems). The C6 tube will be lighter than the equivalent aperture Newtonian.

As for astrophotography, please note that the C6 SE will be useless for deep-space astrophotography and a pain to use for planetary imaging. The mount is only intended for visual use (and to be portable).  If you are serious about astrophotography you should just buy something else, either in addition to the C6 and SE mount, or instead of.

Many thanks for ur suggestion..actually i am not into that much in Astrophotography.THat needs higher arrangements. But I like to know ur  suggestion on "Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150i WiFi"

For the Star Discovery 150, I imagine the tripod and mount would weigh around 6kg and the OTA around 5kg - give or take. That is, the OTA ought to have a very similar weight to your 150p. If your 150 was mounted on a rocker box then this box in itself would weigh around 10kg - give or take.

The Discovery's 150 should be a very similar OTA to your 150p performance wise. Mounted to an AZ GoTO makes for a a very reasonable priced package.

If you wanted to experiment with suitable weight loads before purchase, recall that 1 litre of water weighs 1kg.

• Like 1