Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRS TRANSIT TONIGHT SATURDAY 10.30PM

paulastro

Not a bad night forecast for tonight, at least for us northern folks :smile:

GRS Transit tonight at 10.30pm, Jupiter azimuth 211 degrees, altitude 9 degrees at this time, higher further south of course.
A Europa transit starts 11.25pm, shadow follows some time later but Jupiter will be very low by the time the shadow comes onto the disk.

Moonrise at 9.40pm this evening,  13.7 degrees altitude by 11.30pm, 17 degrees by midnight, transits around 3am at 28 degrees altitude.

For Lunar buffs:  Mare Crisium, Langrenus and Petavius are well placed on the Lunar terminator at 11.30pm, altitude 13.7 degrees.

Good luck if you are planning to observe.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 4

Well, it's all gone chest uppermost here :(

Not three hours ago they were telling me it would be clear skies for the remainder of the afternoon and then into the night until 3am.  Right now I have 100% cloud cover and it looks so ominous that I've closed up the observatory roof.  The forecast window of clear sky after dark has closed down enormously, too.  Looks like I'll be lucky if I get a couple of hours according to the current forecast.

James

• Sad 1

Out from 8,40pm to 10.00pm when Jupiter finally went out of view behind the trees in the SW so couldn't see it at transit time.  The seeing was very poor at times (and frequent clouds blotting it out completely ), but a few views when the GRS was just visible as it came onto the disk.  Couldn't help but think back how big and red it used to be in the 70's, I think it ought to be called the 'not so great red spot' now.  Struggled to see it at times.  Mind you, not complaining, still nice to see it, and some reasonable detail elsewhere on the planet at times.  I'm glad I was observing all those years ago though when the GRS was a really obvious, wonderful and impressive object.

Later on had some reasonable views of Saturn and the Moon. 

All observations with SW 120ED, binoviewer with 24mm Orthos.  Pic of the Moon taken at prime focus, Olympus E-M5 Mk11, 1/800 sec at 400 asa, Ercole Mount.

2089051989_P8181312WaningGibbousMoon.thumb.jpg.d21c83d9ffbf3a91251bddb957220b70.jpg