SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Receiving Weather Sats wit RTL-SDR Dongle

So.… I don't have a proper homemade antenna but am using the supplied antennas in a V shape as per the plans for the home made antenna.  I also have a low noise amp inline and with only a couple of DB Gain on the RTL dongle my noise floor is around 60Db.  The antenna is facing North.  I have tuned to 137.1 Hhz for the next pass and have everything waiting to go.... FIngers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

You sparked my interest back into weathersats.

Got an SDRplay with  Uputronics preamp and a Diamond QFH.

Did a few recordings of NOAA sats and they would'nt decode in Wxtoimg, my bad as the files were recording as 48000hz 32bit.
Now converted them to 11025hz and good to go, below a NOAA 18 pass last night around 2000utc.

noaa-18-08282002-norm.jpg.497d66a96280f36296065b7356bd2e3c.jpg

I used to have a chimney mounted Turnstile (crossed di-poles) antenna for VHF sats. It worked a treat.

Other than an expired eBay item I can't see them available anywhere. Used to be easy to find. Not a difficult project for home brew though!

• Like 1

On 17/08/2019 at 15:45, blinky said:

So.… I don't have a proper homemade antenna but am using the supplied antennas in a V shape as per the plans for the home made antenna.  I also have a low noise amp inline and with only a couple of DB Gain on the RTL dongle my noise floor is around 60Db.  The antenna is facing North.  I have tuned to 137.1 Hhz for the next pass and have everything waiting to go.... FIngers crossed!

hi blinky a couple of questions,when you say facing north does that matter,is your inline amp powered externally and do you have a drawing of your v shape antenna as the one i made receives no signal at all,what cable are you using,sorry for  all the questions but my first go was a total flop with no signal thanks iwols

51 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

yes apart from noaa 17 which it said was miles out of date this is the list i will be using,the v pole i made was the one you linked to,my try my airband dipole for the next passes,wont be great but should imagine i will get some kind of signal do my settings look ok as well,both below thanks 260709211_satpass.thumb.png.28354ba7b25f6b96d7e4dbd262a617f5.png741129917_satrec.thumb.png.9a86f59e4d6af2c0d9193fc6db047017.png

1 hour ago, wxsatuser said:

The satellite frequencies are wrong in wxtoimg.

Go into options active sats and change them, also knock off NOAA 17 as that is no more.

NOAA 15 137.620
NOAA 18 137.9125
NOAA 19 137.100

You can find up to date NOAA APT frequencies here

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Operations/POES/status.html

thanks for that but as you know when using sdrp1a you can see a bit more of the spectrum,and nothing showed up there either ,do my settings look ok? thanks iwols

51 minutes ago, iwols said:

thanks for that but as you know when using sdrp1a you can see a bit more of the spectrum,and nothing showed up there either ,do my settings look ok? thanks iwols

Yes the sdr does see more spectrum but the filter sets the bandwidth of one portion, the bit your interested in.
If the sat appears off filter it will not be heard in most cases.

Think your settings are ok but open up the filter a bit, if your not tracking frequency, 40k in the top right corner, gives it some breathing space.
I don't use SDRplay but use a 50k filter in SDR Console which works ok.

Turn off the NB it's on NBW.

• 2 weeks later...