Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 6888 and Soap Bubble

HunterHarling

I may be adding RGB stars to this image, but I'm satisfied I finally captured the Soap Bubble after seeing some great images of it.

This is 17 hours of Ha and OIII in HOO palette. It was difficult to bring out the OIII halo, even with the 11 hours of OIII data...

Ha: 55x400s

OIII: 100x400s

1910930194_CrescentsoapBubble.2.thumb.jpg.4691d526a76b011c3e542461896d59fe.jpg

ASI1600mm

FSQ106 ED

ZWO Ha, OIII filters

Thanks for looking and question/ comments welcome :)

• Like 24

34 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Another beautiful image from you, have to ask, any reason why 400secs, is it just easy to remember? I tend to work in minutes, but then what do I know.

Alan

Thanks, Alan. Well, I started with 300 second for narrow band, but there wasn't enough signal. Then, I went to 600s and there was too much amp glow, so I settled on sort of a middle-ground at 400s which seem to give good results :)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, HunterHarling said:

Thanks, Alan. Well, I started with 300 second for narrow band, but there wasn't enough signal. Then, I went to 600s and there was too much amp glow, so I settled on sort of a middle-ground at 400s which seem to give good results :)  

Judging by you fine results your not doing much wrong

Alan

8 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

I am going to experiment more with exposure length though...

I have an 071 Zwo on route to me at the moment so I will be doing the same. They say shorter exposure is what these cameras like, so it will be 2-3 mins for me. If it is as fast as people say I will try the LX 12 inch at 15-20 secs with the reducer to see if

I can get some useable data on one or two other targets, like closer shots of say M13. 1980mm at F6.3 should be OK on the fork mount.

Alan

Nice image with a lovely bold bubble! I'm surprised that you found the OIII shell difficult and it does look slightly thin, though very good. It's given me good signal in the past with Baader filters (though these do give haloes.)

Olly

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Nice image with a lovely bold bubble! I'm surprised that you found the OIII shell difficult and it does look slightly thin, though very good. It's given me good signal in the past with Baader filters (though these do give haloes.)

Olly

I believe that narrower bandwidth OIII might help... I did capture during a full moon so there were some background gradients.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hennyvenom said:

As someone who is looking into getting a ASI 1600 with the filters, this image is stunning, and also encouraging 👍

Thanks! The camera is amazing, especially for such a great price. The filters aren't so great, however. If I could I would get maybe Baader or Astronomic instead.

14 hours ago, carastro said:

What a stunning and beautiful and nicely processed image.

Carole 

Thanks so much, Carole.

3 hours ago, artem said:

excellent Image !!

Thanks.

Stunning image. Inspired me to give it a go tonight. A stretched 10 min sub and I could just about see (I think) part of a faint outline of the Oiii envelope.  I’m guessing it’s pretty faint, as you said 11 hours and it was still difficult!

30 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Stunning image. Inspired me to give it a go tonight. A stretched 10 min sub and I could just about see (I think) part of a faint outline of the Oiii envelope.  I’m guessing it’s pretty faint, as you said 11 hours and it was still difficult!

It's definitely worth imaging though, such a great target. I look forward to seeing your image.