Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

MakeItSo

Advice on suitable/ideal CCD for an FSQ106

Hi Folks, 

Thanks for reading. I would like opinions on suitable (or the best) CCD camera pairing with a Tak FSQ106. I have been using Astronomy tools to calculate the image scale and take into account the seeing, but the repeated comments about the 106’S large imaging circle have me a little confused. Is it simply that a large sensor is needed to fully take advantage of the 106?  I note that on Astrobin, many different cameras are used with this scope; is the point here that from an image scale perspective many cameras would be suitable, but from an image circle perspective, a large sensor is better? One camera I have looked at is the Atik 11000 but I am keen to see what other options may be good/take full advantage.

Many thanks for reading. 

Simon

HI, Talk to Ian King imaging.  he is in your region close by.  Henry b.

Posted (edited)

a couple of data points for you...

The imaging scale with a 9um pixel camera (Atik 11000) will be 3.5 arcsec/pixel with a field size 3.9x2.6 degrees.

With the popular ZWO ASI1600 (3.8um pixels), imaging scale is 1.48 arcsec/pixel and field size 1.9x1.4 degrees.

HTH, Andy

PS, clearly you don't need to use a large sensor with this scope but it does give you the option to. My scope has a large flat field (claimed to be 90mm diagonal 🙂) and so I use a 9um, full frame camera for a wider field and a 3.7um small sensor camera for smaller galaxies.

Edited by fireballxl5
add PS

59 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

a couple of data points for you...

The imaging scale with a 9um pixel camera (Atik 11000) will be 3.5 arcsec/pixel with a field size 3.9x2.6 degrees.

With the popular ZWO ASI1600 (3.8um pixels), imaging scale is 1.48 arcsec/pixel and field size 1.9x1.4 degrees.

HTH, Andy

PS, clearly you don't need to use a large sensor with this scope but it does give you the option to. My scope has a large flat field (claimed to be 90mm diagonal 🙂) and so I use a 9um, full frame camera for a wider field and a 3.7um small sensor camera for smaller galaxies.

This is most helpful; I can see that the point here is that you are paying for (future proofing, I suppose) the big image circle but you don't initially need to invest in a large sensor, that can come later. 

Consider the Atik 383L+ with future proof 2" filters, and if I was you I would get a camera that is a 16bit