SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fungus?

Hi. I wasn't sure where to post this, so here it is. I fished out my TAL 6x30 finder from cupboard where it's lain for the last couple of years, and found this. Is it, as I suspect, fungus? If so, is it completely on its way out now?

Ant

tal1.jpg

Tal2.jpg

Dont think its fungus, looks more like moisture has got into a cemented element.  I had a lens like this and put the element into warm soapy water for a few days and it separated, I then cleaned off the "cement" with some alcohol then refitted the lens assembly using a thin strand of copper wire around the edge to "air space" it, worked fine after..

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 2

This may sound excessive but I have just recently treated fungus on a lens (not that bad).
I used an mild IPA solution and allowed it to sit for a few hours and then rinced off.
This was followed by a mild peroxide solution to kill off any remaining fungus. I also wiped down the inside of the tube.
This was followed by a further rinse with a combination of IPA and distilled water.

There is now no signs of fungus on the lens and it did not effect the coatings either.

Edited by dyfiastro
  • Like 1

Nah thats not fungus Ant. Its the 2 elements separating, maybe moisture related but more than likely the cement. Ive never been able to do anything for optics that suffer this. Its still useable but doesnt look pretty. If its on the finder its not so bad. This is another reason I dont like cemented optics

• Like 2