SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cannot get Focus

Hi again all of you. It's been about 3 years now that i have owned my Startravel 120mm, i still love and use it. But, i am miffed as to why i cannot use something like an OVL 45° Erecting Prism 2" or anything like it. I don't have enough inward focus to find long range targets during daytime i just run out of focus. I am using a OVL Dual Speed 2" Crayford Focuser to replace the standard item. Why can i not get enough focus. i ordered an Ostara 2" 45 degree dielectric diagonal this week but again it does not work. I contacted the shop i purchased it from and he was very surprised and said he has never heard this problem, so i sent it back today. can anyone here please advise why i cannot use this type of 45 degree diagonal. Thanks for any advise, help

The reason is, as you have found, there is not enough in focus travel. An erecting prism requires extra in focus travel compared to an ordinary diagonal. You would have a much better chance of reaching focus with a 1.25" size erecting prism as it has a shorter light path than the 2" version.   😀

Edited by Peter Drew
typo
  • Like 1

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Why the hell didn't the shop owner tell me that when i rang up about compatibility with my telescope. I told him i already tried a different 45 erecting prism. Again thanks

2 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Or the new focuser is longer than the other. Did you attach the new focuser as far forward as it would go? 

Yes it was a direct replacement so it fits as the standard one did.