Narrowband

Perseid captures 8/12/13 August

I decided to combined all the images from my meteor camera into a few composites images.   I had a total of 89 confirmed Perseids over three nights, which I was very happy with.  This plot shows the position of the meteors relative to my location.

Thanks for looking.

GMAP.thumb.jpg.6e98ed1d8d0f6ae92da7bb40ef268f9b.jpg

perseid 2019.jpg

• Like 21

1 minute ago, paul mc c said:

Nice one.....took over 50,30 sec pics last night and did'nt capture one.

Thanks PauI, I looked for a bit myself and didnt see any.  Mostly these were early in the morning.  But actually got quite a few on the 8th too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

Terrific meteor captures, never seen anyone plot them like that.  Fantastic.

Thanks! There were so many in a relatively small part of the sky, even with the moon obscuring the fainter ones. 

• Like 1

Great captures! Got a few questions as looking to do similar setup to yours 1) how did u find best balance of  Fov? 2) how much data roughly does it generate per night? 3) are the captures filtered down to just relevant meteor shots, or does it record whole video too? 4) would you mind sharing a picture of setup as want idea of how would look if did permanent setup?

On 16/08/2019 at 10:03, jam1e1 said:

Great captures! Got a few questions as looking to do similar setup to yours 1) how did u find best balance of  Fov? 2) how much data roughly does it generate per night? 3) are the captures filtered down to just relevant meteor shots, or does it record whole video too? 4) would you mind sharing a picture of setup as want idea of how would look if did permanent setup?

Hi Jamie

100% I'll get as much details as possible for you, will get it sorted over lunch.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2019 at 10:03, jam1e1 said:

1) FOV was determined by camera and available lenses. The camera is a Watec 902 H2, and had a small 640x480 chip. Fast Computar lenses come in a few focal lengths. These were taken with an 8mm lens.  I also have a 6mm lens on a second Watec. Both are F0.8. There is a Computar 2.6mm F1.0 for sale on here but it’s a little wide. for meteor analysis, due to distortion.

2) data depends on the amount of meteors plus false captures. The software records five files for each capture. 2MB per capture. And say 10-30 per night, so small amount of data.

3) It only saves triggered captures eg meteors. I use this software:

http://sonotaco.com/e_index.html

4) photos below, couldn’t find a wider one without snow but hopefully that gives you an idea, completely self contained

HTH 👍🏻 :)

DE9C23FF-0BF7-464F-8798-80B36AE06DAC.jpeg

FC39217C-CAA0-49BE-8A02-CB4BAFCDC364.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jam1e1 said:

thanks that's super really useful! im saving up for one camera setup to start with, likely go for 8mm too and see how i get on with that. 

Ebay.usa is a good place to look. Both my lenses came from there.