SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

LP filter and glare

Mark1489

Hello all,

I’m considering buying a LP filter so I can image from my garden. The main problem is I have a streetlight directly behind me, just wondering if a LP filter would be effective at this short distance from the streetlight, especially with the glare etc.

I believe it’s a sodium type not LED, any recommendations for a clip in filter for the D5300?

I know it’s not ideal but I don’t have the time to drive to dark skies as often as I’d like, so just experimenting to see if it’s viable or not 😀 my skies are 20.88, they could be worse! 

Mark

What scope do you have? I really struggled with a Newt when I started as so much stray light can get into the tub. Since going with a refractor I've been able to shoot from home now. Granted, I have a mono camera and use an IDAS D2 with LRGB filters so better at blocking out the light pollution. See attached. That's facing south and i was still able to pull off a decent Orion last year.

20190813_215644.jpg

M42_SCNR.jpg.c6e9106952facbdc6400fa8eb1125367.jpg

• Like 2

When I first started I got a modified Canon 600D. I soon found out anything over 30s was pointless. I bought a Skytech CLS CCD clip in filter. It was cheaper than the Astronomik which is well regarded. See comparison below. Canon 50mm lens f1.8. 10s images. I'd say get a filter and at least try it out.

IMG_0314.thumb.JPG.417f2c0d982b59abfa854901804bf37b.JPG

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.0f9839ab70f011d5716090dcc0d84f37.JPG

• Like 1

On 13/08/2019 at 22:02, david_taurus83 said:

What scope do you have? I really struggled with a Newt when I started as so much stray light can get into the tub. Since going with a refractor I've been able to shoot from home now. Granted, I have a mono camera and use an IDAS D2 with LRGB filters so better at blocking out the light pollution. See attached. That's facing south and i was still able to pull off a decent Orion last year.

Hi David

First off, great images! I’m using a Samyang 135mm camera lens. I’d love to spend on a mono setup with a refractor - maybe one day. The lens has a hood but I still get stray light entering on one side. Really annoying since when I moved in the developer had not connected the lights and I had dark skies on my patio! I’m 40 minutes away from bortle 3/2 skies so I may just bite the bullet and put up with the drive!