SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Reading material

MaHa

Hello everyone, 

I've been doing a lot of reading recently whilst the skies have been overcast, and an inordinate amount of water falling. I'm just wondering what books others find useful - not only to learn constellations and the likes, but also for reading up on all things universe? As I'm almost exclusively a binocular observer (I do own a small telescope - a skywatcher Heritage 130p, but it rarely gets used) my main references are binocular specific books, thank you @BinocularSkyHowever I've found myself reading the wonderful DK 'Universe' book, all 485 pages of it, with the whole of the last section comprised of beautiful colour star charts.. 

Anyway - just interesting to see what other people enjoy reading on their hobby. 

Mark 

IMG_20190812_193309.jpg

• Like 3

I often read bits and pieces from Patrick Moore's observing with binoculars.... Mainly for inspiration when the whole aperture fever thing kicks in and this tends to get me back outside with renewed enthusiasm.  I have a bunch of those beginners astronomy books which I take a look at now and then, but I mainly glance at my Cambridge Star Atlas when it's cloudy or I have some spare time.  I love the way the book is broken down and the lists with all the Magnitudes....all of which are within the grasp of binoculars or a small scope.  There's nothing more frustrating than finding an interesting target in an atlas and then realising you need a scope the size of a dustbin to see it... That's why it gets so much use....

Mark

• Like 1

This is the one I always fall back on, particularly when travelling, but often at home too. A little behind the times perhaps in terms of science and equipment, but I love the enthusiasm with which Patrick always wrote, and although it is ostensibly a binocular book, it covers everything required for telescope observing too. Don’t know if it’s still in print but worth tracking down secondhand if not.

• Thanks 1

That's great, 

I've not come across the Patrick Moore book as of yet, so it's one that I'll hopefully be adding to my collection if I can find one. 

Regarding buying second hand, I do this quite frequently from ebay, seller 'world of books' . I've picked up a good few with an RRP of £25 or so for around £3 or £4 with free delivery. They've always been in fantastic condition - you really can't grumble for those prices. Worth a look guys. 

Mark 

• Like 1

I'm currently reading "Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes" by Harold Suiter. Ostensibly about teaching the reader how to diagnose a scope's aberrations using its diffraction patterns, but so much more utterly fascinating stuff besides.

Amusingly, I found myself in a hospital with a lot of time yesterday, and a senior nurse passed by, saw the book and asked "You're not into that airy-fairy stuff are you? I could never get it". I had no idea what she was going on about, until it dawned: she thought Star Testing was a manual for Astrology! The relative prominence given the different words in the title support that I think.

Magnus

IMG_5882.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

I'm currently reading "Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes" by Harold Suiter. Ostensibly about teaching the reader how to diagnose a scope's aberrations using its diffraction patterns, but so much more utterly fascinating stuff besides.

Amusingly, I found myself in a hospital with a lot of time yesterday, and a senior nurse passed by, saw the book and asked "You're not into that airy-fairy stuff are you? I could never get it". I had no idea what she was going on about, until it dawned: she thought Star Testing was a manual for Astrology! The relative prominence given the different words in the title support that I think.

Magnus

Here is a prime example! I'll be having that thank you very much 😁

Screenshot_20190815_133533_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

• Like 1

Hi MaHa, do you know anyone with university access to online periodicals etc? A student or staff member?

The Springer website has quite a few full pdf downloads if you know anyone with Shibboleth/Athens access through a university. 

A lot of these cover the same ground and have overlap on similar topics, but still, a treasure trove of info.

They also have a lot on proper high level astrophysics, but that whistles right over my head I'm afraid🤣

35674567467.jpg

springer books online.jpg

• Haha 1