Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Returning to the fold

Photosbykev

3 or 4 years ago I pretty much walked away from any serious astrophotography and SGL and spent more time shooting high resolution 360 panoramas, chasing the northern lights and landscapes than anything else.

Now I've retired after 43 years of work, bought a motorhome and started pottering around lol

I've also just taken delivery of a SkyGuider Pro from FLO and ZWO ASI120mm camera and 30mm f/4 guidescope to dip my toes back into the nights of astrophotography with all the frustrations and hassle it can throw at us :)

First attempt, purely as a test to see if the iPolar polar alignment and the mount were tracking correctly, was with a 600mm lens and x1.4TC and autoguiding with PHD2. Completely over the weight specification for the mount and a lead filled bag was needed to get a good balance but worth a play as the skies are pants at the moment with just an occasional hole in the clouds.

A single 5 minutes @ iso800 uncropped image processed through Pixinsight, the only image I got before the clouds rolled in again :( I strongly suspect I will get a lot of rejects at this focal length but at 3-400mm and wider it should be quite nice.

It's good to see a lot of familiar names still on SGL, see you in the Forums :)

IMG_6163_dbe-copy.jpg

IMG_20190810_140709.jpg

Edited by Photosbykev
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Welcome back Kev I'm still here, just  :D

You could pop to SGL Star Party now :thumbsup:

Dave

Tempted Dave but I'm guessing it's fully booked and it's also on fireworks weekend so we'll probably end up in the middle of Wales with the dog on a very remote campsite to avoid getting her stressed.

Kev

Edited by Photosbykev

13 minutes ago, Photosbykev said:

Tempted Dave but I'm guessing it's fully booked and it's also on fireworks weekend so we'll probably end up in the middle of Wales with the dog on a very remote campsite to avoid getting her stressed.

Kev

Still places left, it hasn't been fully  booked the last couple of years, no houses around to let off fireworks and a few other dogs to consort with :D

Dave

• Like 1

Great to have you back here Kev.Congrats on your retirement too. A Camper Van is a lovely acquisition, and something I would love to own too, but  it's still a dream.

Looking forward to seeing more of your Astro. Work again.      

Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...