Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

ICR_2019

Sloppy rack and pinion focuser fix

Hi All

I thought I would share how I fixed my sloppy rack and pinion focuser on Skywatcher 130p.

The issue? When using or collimating the slop in the focuser would put the target or centre dot way out of line.

With the tube tilted downward I removed the 4 screws/nuts  of the focuser to remove it from the OTA.

Loosen the lock  and 2 adjusting screws, I used a small torx screwdriver as i did't have an allen key small enough.

Remove the 4 screws holding the adjuster bar in place, and remove the adjuster.

Note: Be careful to avoid the very sticky grease used on the drive!

Remove the draw tube assembly, remove the lock/adjusting shim located at the top of the main body.

There were 2 plastic shims 1 each side of the drive I removed both of them.

Thoroughly clean everything with degreaser and isopropyl alcohol except the drive itself.

I cut 2 plastic shims from food packaging, cleaned them, and using 50mm double sided tape I lined out the main focuser body. Be careful to cut to the correct size and shape before installing and don't cover the drive or lock/adjusting shim areas.

Next using teflon tape purchased from eBay I covered the draw tube exterior.

I then did the same covering the plastic shims in the main body.

It was still a little loose so I doubled the teflon tape at the top of the tube either side of the adjusting shim.

Next I added a plastic shim onto the adjuster shim and covered with teflon tape.

Put it all back together and almost no slack!

I can now move the focuser from fully in to fully out without the collomation moving out of the centre ring on the primary.

Complete success I think.

Edited by loft_boarding
Better wording of sentence
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Corpze
      Hi, I recently made a video of how to mount a Sesto Senso focus motor to a Starlight feather touch focuser.
      I have now also made a video of how to calibrate it and also how to measure the backlash of the rack and pinion gear of the focuser.
      This method is not limited to a starlight feather touch focuser but could be performed on all kinds of focuser.

I hope this video makes it easier for anyone out there having problems with backlash.

You can also check out my other videos of the focuser / focus motor here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm50WzpT1YKCwghW13b6k-g?view_as=subscriber

• By Corpze
      Hi guys, I have made a video of how to mount a Primalucelab Sesto Senso focus motor on a true 3" Feather Touch 3215 focuser.
      I thought some of you might wonder how to use the extra collar you need to mount the motor on to the bigger versions of the FT focusers, and also how to align the motor shaft.

Enjoy 

• By AstroRookie
      Hello,
      I recently purchased a sky-watcher focuser for my Celestron C8 (1997) sct together with a focal reducer. The focuser threads on the sct and so does the focal reducer. But how do I use both of them together. What I've found so far is, that one must first attach the focuser to the OTA and then the focal reducer to the focuser . But I can't see how I can attach the focal reducer to the focuser. What kind of adapter would I need?
      Thanks,
      AstroRookie

• By Gorr_77
      Hi All
      I am starting this as a baseline to find out Cons and Pros for the difference, between standard focuser and all the way to the electronic top? up to max £3k.
      I mean : practical : i would like not to worry about rotating and focusing at all., so paying big bucks will give me this reassurance? - i guess? yes? - one focuser for all!!!! 
      I have a short list  for all: refractor /reflectors,/newtons 
      Moonlight FT, ASA AAf3", RotoFoc 3, Nitecrawler 3, Optec TFT-53, Integra 85, Finger Lakes Atlas (FLI).. . Esatto (expensive - but complains)
      i am sure there is more good stuff out there...
      I am using moonlight 2" on my small triplet and FT 2" on the 2nd one. I was thinking to upgrade and open up to 3" electronic- Integra 85,
      or - just find out that ASA  is still making their AAf3
      My tele will be fast APO 100mm and on coming 10-14" barrel... i guess RASA doesn't need one?
      Please all experience welcome.
      Kindest Regards
      Greg
    • By mindaugask
      Hi! 
      Have anyone tried to make a DIY version of hand controller for zwo eaf focuser? Or tried measuring what is the output of the controller? 
      I want to print a hand controller +battery case all in one but unfortunately do not have the controller to check what needs to be outputted thru connector. I assume it will be pretty basic like shortening contact but maybe someone has already checked

Thanks for looking! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.