Narrowband

suprise view car park hathersage south facing?

hi all after a couple of planetary attempts decided i might try and go somewhere dark to give the scope a fair chance and found that suprise view car park in hathersage about one hour away might be worth a try,just wondering if anyone knows if this has a clear view south or not or any other comments cheers

21 hours ago, iwols said:

hi all after a couple of planetary attempts decided i might try and go somewhere dark to give the scope a fair chance and found that suprise view car park in hathersage about one hour away might be worth a try,just wondering if anyone knows if this has a clear view south or not or any other comments cheers

I've been static DSLR imaging round that area ( not from the car park ) and it's ok depending on which way you look. Towards Sheffield is just as you would imagine it ! but there are trees and a hill in the way. I've been there during the day and as far as I can remember the view south is fine. If it was me going then I'd walk north from the car park about half a mile and use the rocks and mill stones for some Starscapes and get car light trails going passed looking south.

The road as mentioned gets busy ( ish ) and it's unlikely you'll be alone in the dark corners of the car park 😍

There are loads of dark spots around like the Ladybower valley but all the views are restricted in some way, from memory.

Do you need dark skies for planetary ?

Dave.

I think I've just talked myself into going next new moon 🤨

• Like 1

For planetary it will be fine, other than passing cars. For dark skies only the bit overhead is dark.

The car park at Mam Tor isn't bad either. This view is from the lower part. The higher part, not available on Google, has a much clearer horizon.

2096274204_MamTor.thumb.jpg.12431ecf618cf17ed4ce32370f6c0264.jpg

• Like 2

Surprise view has an excellent south-facing view. Due to being quite highly elevated, you also get some extra horizon for those really low Messiers, as you look towards a valley.

If you are in the back part of the car park, main road car lights are not a problem. 

Cars entering the car park do interfere, but that's mainly in the summer months.

• Like 1