Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is this a meteor, votes please.

Set up for Perseid hunt, set alarm for 1:30am to start imaging for a couple of hours of darkness. I think I caught a few small ones, this one seems the biggest, however would be nice if people could confirm that it is really a meteor. I'm talking about the horizontal one, the other trace is probably a satellite. The area was just west of Polaris, even if it's a meteor, I'm not sure it's a Perseid.

Thanks.

2019_0812_13201400.jpg

• Like 3

Meteors will generally have some colour in them (red/green) and satellites never have colour in them as they are just reflecting sunlight. The horizontal one is definitely a meteor and I'd say the vertical one is as well because of the green tint but it does look like a satellite unless your white balance is off

Kev

Edited by Photosbykev
typos

Horizontal one is a meteor, top one satalight. You can see the difference at the end points of both, the meteor trails off but the satalight does not. Also the light trail on the meteor is not uniform as you'd expect of something burning up in the atmosphere but the satalight light trail is uniform. My take on it. Lovely capture though. Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant

Thank you very much for the replies, nice to have some confidence that it is a meteor. I think I'll try to edit out the satellite trail. The white balance was set to daylight btw. I've tried to plate solve it on astrometry but it failed. I'll try again, perhaps another frame of the same area.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...