Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon Occults Saturn - 2019 AUG 12

CentaurZ

The waxing gibbous Moon will occult (cover) Saturn for observers in eastern Australia and northern New Zealand during the evening of Monday 2019 AUG 12.

The current series of 14 monthly Saturn occultations extends from 2018 DEC 09 to 2019 NOV 29. However, the large majority are not visible at nighttime from any particular location. The next series will commence on 2024 APR 06

The upcoming immersion will occur on the lunar dark limb and emersion on the bright limb. Any observers on a graze path can witness the star winking on and off as lunar hills and valleys pass by. Those between the two paths will see a full occultation.

Photos and descriptions of the occultation would be welcome additions to this thread. If you would like specific occultation or graze predictions for your location, please reply to this post with your longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.

GM190812.JPG.72b255256c599d845caa639b9a47509a.JPG

• Like 2

I have had some of my best views of Saturn when that close, the brightness of the Moon reduces the glare of Saturn, rendering the more subtle ring and surface details more visible.  This of course might apply only to larger than 12" telescopes.   😀  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

I have had some of my best views of Saturn when that close, the brightness of the Moon reduces the glare of Saturn, rendering the more subtle ring and surface details more visible.  This of course might apply only to larger than 12" telescopes.   😀  

I had a similar experience when Uranus was very close to the lunar limb. It's blue colour seemed really enhanced :smiley:

Maybe a similar effect to observing Jupiter and Venus against a twilight sky which is when I've had some of the best views of those planets ?

• Like 2