Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Taken 27 July 19. from my ROR Garden Shed.

I did take the stars out using Starnet but prefered the stars in :)

30 x 300s SII,Ha,OIII - 2.5Hrs

TS65EQ with Atik EFW2 and ZWO AOG, Lodestar X2 guidcam.

Mesu 200 mount

ZWO 183mm pro at -20C 200 Gain.

Processed in Pixinsight.

Thanks for looking.

FinalView Master C.jpg

• Like 9

I am sorry but I just don't like the green and the reddish background, what has happened to the normal SHO colours?

• Like 1

Hubble pallet usually comes out green until you adjust the colours abit.. data looks good...green thou...not to my taste..

• Like 1

I must say, I am new to this NB malarky 😛

So I did some reading and played around a bit and OK, it's not the best, but it's my first go at adjusting the colours to a more acceptable level. Its a bit noisy but hey. One step at a time :)

Is this better?

Mel15 Master colour change C.jpg

I  just wondered why the 200 gain as this affects quite a few areas.

roger

The 200 gain is something I read on another forum for the ZWO 183mm pro camera when shooting NB. Full spectrum is 111 gain. I have no fixed thoughts. If someone can tell me why I should use different gain settings, I'm happy to try. 

2 hours ago, dave_galera said:

Have a look at this video

Thanks Dave. Can't wait to get to try out this method. It looks a great way to work. 

2 hours ago, Star101 said:

If someone can tell me why I should use different gain settings, I'm happy to try. 

Cmos cameras generally don't like long exposure times because of possible amp glow, for example. During RGB imaging you collect more photons per second than during nb imaging. In order not to have too long exposure times for nb, you can increase the gain. Just remember that the total integration time needs to be the same: more short exposures in stead of fewer long exposures. 

• Like 1

You could try using MureDenoise on your Ha, SII and OII masters straight after integration.......this is a fantastic script that gets rid of just about all the noise, but the images have to be linear and have absolutely nothing done to them for it to work correctly

I followed the video through and finished with a ACDNR.

Mel15 Done Cdenoise.jpg

• Like 1

I think this is the last iteration :)

I removed the stars using Starnet and Clonestamp.

It's been a great learning curve for me. Thoroughly enjoyed this project. I have  other data to play with so will leave one for now.

Thanks for the help with this, much appreciated.

Mel15 Enhanced doneb stars removed.jpg

• Like 1

Yep looking very good now, but there is a bit of noise there....try MureDenoise as its absolutely fantastic at removing noise before you combine the linear masters

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tooth_dr
      I scrapped all the Oiii and Sii data I previously took during a full moon (about 15 hours worth) and retook it all when the moon was a bit smaller at 76%.  Ha was taken during 98% and 67% moon.  All the lights were taken on the following nights: 12th, 19th and 20th September 2019.
      Integration times, all in 600s subs unbinned:
      Ha = 28.33 hours
      Oiii= = 5.67 hours
      Sii = 5.67 hours

The Ha data is really nice, and unsurprisingly the Oiii and Sii is not as strong (or nice).
      I'm missing that (vital) step in my processing routine of getting the Sii and Oiii properly stretched to match the Ha, before combining.  I dont really know how to deal with the weaker data properly.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
      What I do currently:
      All the data is loaded into APP into separate channels/sessions.
      The data is stacked and registered against the best Ha sub
      This produces individual stacks of Ha, Sii and Oiii that are all registered
      Each channel is processed with DPP in APP and then saved as a 16bit TIFF
      Each is opened in PS
      Stars removed with AA and any remnants removed and tidied up
      I then open a blank RGB document in PS
      I paste Ha into Green, Sii into Red and Oiii into Blue
      Adjust the selective colour settings to get 'Hubble palette'
      Adjust levels, curves, saturation until looks ok
      All the Ha Sii Oiii data is then combined together in a single 'super' stack in APP using quality weighted algorithm to create a 'luminance'
      That luminance layer is adjusted using levels, curves, and NC tools such as local contrast enhancement and deep space noise reduction (using masks to apply as required)
      The luminance is pasted onto the above colour layer, and incrementally added using gaussian blur
      Cropped and saved.

Here it is anyway   I haven't intended on any more exposure time for this one, but will consider it, if the expert opinion dictates otherwise!

CS
      Adam

• By StaceStar
      Hi still learning the ropes with my new Hypercam 183c pro

i took this image of the heart nebula the other evening, and now I realise I want a scope with a shorter focal length haha.

22x 240s stacked and calibrated in PI. Final touch up in PS 2018
      SW ED80 DS pro with Altair light wave 0.8 reducer. Heq5 pro, Altair astro hypercam 183c pro. Guided. 

• By Xiga
      We had a patch of clear skies last Sunday night, and even though it was bitterly cold (and there was ice and snow everywhere) I made the executive decision to get outside and have a go nonetheless. I have to setup and teardown each session, but thankfully I was able to move the car a few metres and take advantage of the nice dry (and ice free) ground underneath.
      The plan was to grab some OIII data to go with the Ha I captured on the Heart Nebula a couple of weeks back (see link below) but all I could manage was 8 x 1200s before the clouds rolled in for good. In fact, 3 of the 8 subs were affected by clouds, but I decided to use them anyway as I figured it’s only going to get used for tone mapping, and not luminosity, and at such a short exposure time I really need all the SNR I can get. So I’m being a bit of a naughty boy by posting this before getting a decent amount of OIII first.
      This is just a quick once-through process and is still missing some things, so it’s very much a work-in-progress at this stage, but I thought I’d post it anyway and I’ll update the thread as I make changes. So far, all I’ve done is process the OIII image (which involved gradient reduction, stretching, removing the stars then stretching some more, then quite a substantial amount of noise reduction). Then I combined it with the Ha image above in my usual manner, i.e creating a synthetic SII using 60% of the Ha image and 40% of the OIII image, and then combining all 3 using Annie’s Hubble Palette action.
      So aside from some more work to refine the colour, I still need to work on the contrast, do some NR and also then finally some star reduction.
      C&C welcome as always!
      Details:
      SW 80ED with FF/FR (510mm FL)
      HEQ5 Pro Mount (belt mod)
      Nikon D5300a
      11 x 1200s and 3 x 900s of Ha (2” Baader)
      8 x 1200s of OIII (2” Baader)
      30 Flats, 50 Bias. Dithered every frame.
      Captured in SGP. Stacked in APP. Processed in PS.
      Thanks for looking.

The Ha image:

• By Xiga
      Hey guys
      Here's a quick WIP version of the Heart Nebula taken with my usual gear, the Nikon D5300a, SW 80ED, and HEQ5 Pro. So for this constitutes:
      11 x 1200s and 3 x 900s of Ha (so 4 hrs 25 mins in total)
      30 Flats
      50 Bias
      As usual, stacked in APP and processed in PS.
      It's well placed here in the UK right now so I'm hoping to get some OIII in the coming weeks.
      I'm never quite sure how much to process these images. Aside from the usual stretching, apart from a mild amount of deconvolution, sharpening, and contrast enhancement that's all I tend to do really.
      I've also attached a false colour version using one of Carboni's actions.
      C&C welcome as always.
      Oh, and Happy Christmas everyone! (it's December now, it's allowed  )

• By CCD Imager
      Here's another wide field Hubble palette nebula, this time the Heart Nebula taken with an FSQ and ASI 1600MM Cool, All images unguided on a 10 mincron GM2000

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.