SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm Mak Question

I have decided to add a Mak to my scope collection and am really leaning towards the Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm. The reviews I have read are quite good and the new model has a 2” back and diagonal. I’m wondering, though, about my wide 100 degree two inch eyepieces. Will they work with this scope? I am using Explore Scientific and Baader Morpheus eyepieces and would like to know some comparably priced eyepieces that would also work well with this scope. What say you all?☺️

It vignettes on the longer 35mm plus eyepieces. I know it does on my 41mm Pan and probably on the 35mm Pan, I don't recall the 31mm Nagler causing a problem. I remember also using the 21mm Ethos and others down to maybe 8mm, of which I would have used at some point. I feel anything under the 21mm will not be a problem, in truth the field of view is so large on these, you barely notice a slight vignette anyway.

Alan

• Like 1

Being a planetary / lunar scope with a narrow fov really wide field eyepieces aren’t that usefull anyway.. A 30mm eyepiece is about the widest usefull one. Even if a very wide eyepiece does vignette it’s not really noticeable.,

The 2” diagonal that the scope comes with could do with replacing with something better. Not that the stock one is that horrible optically but not good build quality. Typical of the cheap diagonals usually suppied with scopes. I use a WO diag SCT fit one with mine.

85522C17-6A7D-480B-9B55-F92971760667.png

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

I've used longer focal length eyepieces in a 140mm Mak with a smaller baffle tube and they were surprisingly useable. Your eye is not that sensitive to slight vignetting so the views were quite acceptable.

Whilst you can use them, I would not chase wide fields in the Mak, use it for what it is good at, and that includes DSOs like globs and PNs 

• Like 1

My starting EP with my 180 Mak is a 40mm Plossl; the field of view is limited, but it works well when looking for DSOs which fit within the field of view. I have a 56mm Meade as well, which is good for showing objects like fainter galaxies, but there some optical issues.

As stated above though, the 180 Mak is primarily a planetary/double star/lunar scope, for which it excels! The views last night of Saturn at x350 were amazing.

Chris

• Like 2

9 hours ago, johninderby said:

Being a planetary / lunar scope with a narrow fov really wide field eyepieces aren’t that usefull anyway.. A 30mm eyepiece is about the widest usefull one. Even if a very wide eyepiece does vignette it’s not really noticeable.,

The 2” diagonal that the scope comes with could do with replacing with something better. Not that the stock one is that horrible optically but not good build quality. Typical of the cheap diagonals usually suppied with scopes. I use a WO diag SCT fit one with mine.

85522C17-6A7D-480B-9B55-F92971760667.png

Hope you don’t mind me asking, is that motor focuser an add on or was it on the scope from new ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

I fitted the motor unit myself. Not that hard to do.

Thanks for your reply. I would appreciate it if you could give me some details the the motor, drive belt and cog wheels.

• Like 1