Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Ruud

Moon - from Herschel to Arzachel

9 August was a good night for the Moon, so I studied the region from Ptolemaeus to Arzachel at 231x. Especially Alpertragius stood out, with its oversized central mound. It has been suggested that this is a volcanic feature. Herschel too was quite prominent.

1086651913_Aug09_21UTklein.thumb.png.cdfbe68c2969a697b5867137e759a83e.png
Thanks for watching.

Edited by Ruud
  • Like 11

Gorgeous sketch, Ruud. Absoluetly outstanding detail which almost jumps from the screen. Skies this evening looked wonderful. Almost as if the Moon had its own moon what with Jupiter tagging along behind 🙂

• Thanks 1

Excellent skills. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Ruud, No surprise that we were both looking at this area - never ceases to fascinate. Interesting to compare the features we saw and how we draw them. Mike

• Thanks 1

Hi Ruud,

that's a great sketch! Thanks for sharing with us.

Clear skies

Achim

• Thanks 1

Wow - very nice Ruud - brings back some memories for me as this was really the first area of the moon that I really dug into and observed for a length of time.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys! It's my most ambitious one so far and I'm really glad you like it. It took me hours to paint, but I ended up with five big, happy craters and a few perky little ones. I'm very happy with how it all turned out.

@KingNothing13 

I suppose I feel the same about this region, Brett, especially because it has Alpertragius, my favourite crater on the Moon. But I've had many favourites. For example Atlas and Hercules. I discovered them when I was twelve, with my binoculars.

Edited by Ruud
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dave Baxter
      Moon shot directly from my Celestron 8SE, April 6, 2020. ISO 200, 1/320 exposure with my Canon Rebel SL2.
    • By WiltsStarGazer
      At least some advantages to being furloughed.
      Skywatcher 130/650, 20mm EY, Celestron Smartphone mount, iPhone se.

• By ngwillym
      UPDATED  ALL SOLD
      I have too many Lunar Atlases, so it is time to say goodbye to some of them.
      All of these book are in very good - excellent condition and have hardly been used. All prices are postage paid to the UK. Payment by Paypal please - details on request
      1) Atlas of the Moon - Antonin Rukl 1996 published by Kalmback Publishing     £25 Sold - Thanks John
      2) Observing the Moon - Peter T. Wlasuk 2000 published by Springer           £12 Sold - thanks James
      3) The Hatfield SCT Lunar Atlas - edited by Jeremy Cook 2005 published by Springer      £20 Sold - Thanks Vin
      4) New Atlas of the Moon - Thierry Legault & Serge Brunier 2006 published by Firefly Books - note this is a large hard cover, spiral bound book     £15 Sold - thanks James
      5) Atlas of the Lunar Terminator - John E. Westfall 2000 published by Cambridge University Press £20 SOLD thanks Ade
      Thanks for looking
      Neil

• By Dylan1
      Hi All,

Complete beginner here, with this being my first post to the forum. 
      I recently bought my first scope and I've had a couple nights so far with just viewing. I've now decided to try my hand at utilising my camera and hoping to try stack images and get a decent shot of the moon. The issue I'm having at the moment is that I can't seem to get the moon fully in frame. Using a T ring adapter and Barlow lens attached to my scope I'm essentially cropping out edges of the moon, however when I remove the actual barlow lens and use only the adapter, T ring and my scope as the prime, I can't seem to focus. 

This may be a pretty basic issue, so apologies, I haven't had much luck with google yet. I'm unsure if I require some sort of reducer or if I'm perhaps overlooking something. 

For reference I'm using the following:
      Celestron 130 EQ Fujifilm XT3 (APS-C) Barlow adapter/lens Kipon T2 Adapter for Fuji
      Really appreciate any guidance or advice you can offer. 

Dylan

• By c4llum83
      Thought people may like to see my recent custom design for my SkyWatcher Heritage 130p... 
      As a big Apollo misson geek, and not being a fan of the stock astronomer names wrap on the 130p, I decided to get creative. 
      I used a great moon wall sticker just £6 from Ikea (https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kinnared-decoration-stickers-moon-00448463/) as well as some matt vinyl stickers from Redbubble, one for each Apollo mission patch. 
      Below is pics of the mod in progress and the end result - would love to hear what you think!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.