Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Victor Boesen

Ongoing review of Skywatcher Evostar 72ED and accesories

Posted (edited)

I've recently ordered the Skywatcher Evostar 72ED as a travelscope and it arrives on monday. I just received my mount head(The TS AZT6 from teleskop-express) which I've made a video on with my first impressions. I will post updates, review, first light etc in this thread when I get my scope(and some clear skies, sorry everyone:blush:)

Hopefully this thread will help others who are considering to buy the evostar 72ED but also entertain everyone else reading from the sideline:)

Here are my first impressions on the mount head I will be mounting the telescope on:

Clear skies!

Victor

Edited by Victor Boesen
  • Like 5

Nice video Victor. I have used this mount for a grab and set up with the ED 72 and it works very well, but I did have to put a longer dovetail on to get a better balance.

• Like 2

I've also got that TS mount head which I use with my Tak FC76 DCU as part of my airline portable kit: 

• Like 1

I'll be interested to follow how this scope does. I have a st80 but in the long run would like to swap it for something higher quality.

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

Nice video Victor. I have used this mount for a grab and set up with the ED 72 and it works very well, but I did have to put a longer dovetail on to get a better balance.

I ordered a longer dovetail with the scope since I've read many times that people were having trouble finding balance. Thank you for watching the video:)

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I've also got that TS mount head which I use with my Tak FC76 DCU as part of my airline portable kit: 

Nice setup! A little more expensive than mine is going to be though😬

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Paz said:

I'll be interested to follow how this scope does. I have a st80 but in the long run would like to swap it for something higher quality.

It's a big improvement over ST-80 in every possible way. Don't wait. Just get it.

• Like 1

I agree with heliumstar, just buy one!  It is a fabulous little scope and it makes me smile whenever I use it.  It's gives very sharp images, and punches well above it's weight on the moon and planets.  Fabulous for wide field deep sky, as a high quality spotter scope and as a 420mm lens.

I have no problem balancing it, even with a binoviewer on board.  I use it on a Manfrotto 393 head on a photo tripod and it's the best grab and go I've ever had.  The 393 uses its own 'dovetail' system which helps greatly in achieving balance.

I've a review of the scope here on SGL and on FLOs website if you want to check it out.

367708605_PC041099RightsidedrawtubefullyextendedB.thumb.jpg.e605d05dc42e7b53393ba816554ff957.jpg   1616719421_PC041108Pointingupwards.thumb.jpg.7952f52f545b3bb9f274a6a6304cbb9d.jpg

593837023_PC041105Frontviewinclens.thumb.jpg.4ecbee0b89b480c715aa910ba2e9f8c4.jpg 

• Like 2

Great looking setup @paulastro! Makes me more excited to get mine. Weather is actually looking good tomorrow evening which is the day DHL estimates it to be delivered!

• Like 1

That's great news Victor.  It will be nice to hear how get on with it.  Fingers crossed it turns up tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

I have to be lucky today... DHL messaged me they'd deliver it today between 8-17 but I'll be home from school approximately 16:30 and they didn't give me the option to get it delivered to a shop 200m from me which I usually do. I'm still hoping I'll be lucky but the odds are tight...

Well... "Delivery attempted". I'll have to wait until tomorrow or Wednesday to get the scope unfortunately

• Sad 2

So I picked up my scope today and I've made a new video of the unboxing and my first impressions.

Everything is just as I hoped although I have problems with the longer dovetail. The hole where I'm supposed to screw the screw into the rings seems to be different from the ones already on the stock dovetail. Does anyone know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I need some other screws?

69300646_2375157185904053_7216626491390427136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQmk6me4sJEjYdDafOlRD-lo6Zecugvv5dn3DnyS05x864FOPS8M82Bwz5b_FYPiVqQ&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=dfb52f98fc7869a13a38399a7f920c71&oe=5DEA2BF0

Skies were clear 15 minutes ago but now it's clouded over. I hope it'll clear up again so I can get it out for a short play.

Victor

Had somewhat of a first light last night. I got out my scope for 40min of clear skies. I watched Jupiter slowly move behind the roofs of nearby appartements which really affected the seeing but the bands were easily visible and the first thing that struck me was the much warmer colors compared to the view through my dobsonian. The contrast also seemed a little higher. I was using the 4,7mm eyepiece giving 89x which on the planet was not quite enough I felt since the view was really sharp.

I picked up the scope and tripod and went down to the parking lot of my appartement and pointed the scope towards saturn with the same magnification. I was amazed!! Subtle banding on the planet could just be observed at certain moment and I felt like the scope could easily do over 100x(I will dig up my 2.5x barlow, but I don't know if the quality of this). The 89X just wasn't quite enough to confirm I could see the cassini division but I'm prette sure I could spot it. Focusing was also really easy with the 1:11 focuser and the mount held it steady as well.

Turning to the full moon at 89X I could just about see false color when just outside and inside focus while in-focus the color correction was super! The small exit pupil was a little uncomfortable since the 4,7mm and 89X gives an exit pupil of 0.8mm. This is the equivalent of using 312X in my 10" dob.

Really promising first light! I'm excited to use it again.

Victor