Narrowband

Hi all this has been covered in various threads but there are so many to search through!

I have had the scope for a couple of years and only observe occasionally.

My main targets seem to always be the easy ones, moon, jupiter and saturn. I also scan around cassiopeia a lot.

I have to be honest I don't really know what it is I'm seeing by name or number but am in awe of the views and trying!

I've just taken the plunge with a BST 8mm (arrived today) for planetary use. Cloudy skies 😞

I have the supplied 10mm 20mm and 2x barlow. So now having 8, 10 , 20 with barlow 4 and 5

So my question is what would be the next eyepiece for dso observing?

The 18mm gets great reviews but is that a little close to the existing set?

Would I benefit more with a 25mm?

Thanks in advance Ian

If you have a 2" focuser, I'd look into getting a 30mm or so wide field eyepiece like the ES-82 or APM UFF.  I enjoy scanning wide field views of rich star fields as much as observing individual targets.

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry I missed off the scope. Skywatcher 130p. 

The reason for going with BST was price/reviews.

Its a cheap scope with limited use so I'm not going to throw too much money at it.

Although that may change when I get out the 8mm. They certainly are a very different bit of kit compared to the stock EPs.

I would like to see nebula/galaxies etc. I understand the views would be a smudge but even to get that would be cool.

I do have 2 adaptors with the scope one certainly looks like its for eyepieces of twice the size of the smaller one.

The focussed has a ton of play so I'm about to do the teflon tape hack and may well flock it as i mainly use it in a light polluted area.

Ian

Thanks for the advice guys.

I had never considered going up to 32mm. At that price it's definitely worth a punt,  I can get the flocking at the same time.

Thanks again for your help.

Ian 

On 09/08/2019 at 15:40, Louis D said:

If you have a 2" focuser, I'd look into getting a 30mm or so wide field eyepiece like the ES-82 or APM UFF.  I enjoy scanning wide field views of rich star fields as much as observing individual targets.

May I ask what difference does it make having a 2" focuser compared to the normal 1.25" focuser ?

25 minutes ago, PlanetGazer said:

May I ask what difference does it make having a 2" focuser compared to the normal 1.25" focuser ?

It allows you to use eyepieces with wider fields of view. A 32mm 1.25" plossl gas a 50 degree apparent field of view. Moving up to something like a 30mm 2" ES eyepiece you can get an 82 degree afov giving a significantly wider actual field of view in the same scope.

• Like 2

Well said Stu.  Think of it this way as well.  With 2" eyepieces, the field stop at the front of the eyepiece can be larger than 1.25" in diameter which allows the eyepiece to image a larger portion of the image circle projected by the telescope objective.  If the focuser is only 1.25" in diameter, this won't be possible because the focuser tube itself will crop the image circle before the eyepiece ever gets a chance to image it even if you were to put a 1.25" to 2" adapter in the focuser.  The result would be massive vignetting of the image as seen by the eye.

• Like 1