Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

My local Astro Society has been given a 10" Newtonian but the mirror appears to be in a poor state.

If you have had your mirror recoated recently can you let me know your experience and whether the service was good.

• Like 1

Hi Mark.  My local astronomy club and myself always use Galvoptics ( Image Optics ) of Basildon Essex - a long standing family run company that gives excellent service.  Easy to find on the ‘net, price list and all needed info.  Each time I’ve used their services I’ve been pleased with the result.  My club’s 16” Dobsonian mirror was coated in 2003 and is still fine.

Ed.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like there re a few options. We (Highlands Astronomical Society) use Orion Optics and get their Hilux coatings whenever we need mirrors recoated.

• Thanks 1

On 08/08/2019 at 22:51, Mark at Beaufort said:

If you have had your mirror recoated recently can you let me know your experience and whether the service was good.

Hi again Mark.   I should have previously mentioned that apart from my local club’s 16” in 2003, over the years up to 2017 I’ve personally used them for 6”, 8.5” & 10” mirrors. Also a club member has had his own 20” done with no problems, and a second time after he  refigured it his wonderful optical workshop with full testing facilities.

Of course if you want hi-lux then OO would be your option.

Ed.

• Thanks 1

I've recently had a 20" dobsonian mirror and secondary coated/overcoated with SiO with VCSM coatings. http://www.scientificmirrors.co.uk/vcsm-Aluminising.html

I was pleased with the service and Terry keeps you updated. For £218 including return shipping and attention to detail it really was a no brainer for me. :)

The whole process from door to door took 6 weeks as the old coating was tough to remove..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beulah said:

I've recently had a 20" dobsonian mirror and secondary coated/overcoated with SiO with VCSM coatings. http://www.scientificmirrors.co.uk/vcsm-pricelists.html

I was pleased with the service and Terry keeps you updated. For £218 including return shipping and attention to detail it really was a no brainer for me. :)

The whole process from door to door took 6 weeks as the old coating was tough to remove..

Wow, those prices are great if the service and quality are good, thanks for posting.

Ed.

• Like 1