sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

You could buy a Skywatcher Heritage 100P for just under £100 and use the mirrors from that. They use parabolic 100mm F/4 primaries.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, John said:

You could buy a Skywatcher Heritage 100P for just under £100 and use the mirrors from that. They use parabolic 100mm F/4 primaries.

Beat me to it, John :) 

I've owned a couple and the mirrors are good. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, andrew s said:

Edmund optics do 108mm f4.1 parabolic mirrors but the they are not cheap. 

Regards Andrew 

Thanks to all, seems a shame to cannibalise a telescope, but the skywatcher option looks like my only bet. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

What's this about? If it's for one off, try Astroboot who sell Sky-watcher sub-assemblies from time to time. If you need volume, you could try component suppliers in China.

I’m investigating setting up a craft business making antique desktop instruments and I was going to make a one-off to test the market with. Not aimed at the serious amateur, more the decorative market but with an instrument of reasonable quality that can be used. I doubt I would be making more than four or five a year ultimately. Finding a Chinese supplier would be interesting, (?contact) but just a pity I can’t find a reliable source closer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cw-runks
      Current equipment is: Explorer 150pds, EQ5 pro, Canon 600D (stock), and the EvoGuige 50ED and 120mm mini for guiding. I'm looking at getting the camera astromodifed (~£100) and also a coma corrector (~£130). I only have the budget for one right now, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which to purchase first?
    • By guydive
      Hey all,
      I'm considering the 250PDS. The main use is visual, and the second is EAA (I currently use a zwo183mm). 
      What I'm hesitant about is the primary focus. since It's mostly for visual, I'm wondering on how much back focus it has compared to the standard Skywatcher 10" dobsonians? with the standard dobsonias with the same optics and focuser you already need an extension tube for most eyepieces...
      Also, there's probably a "bigger" obstruction (bigger shadow on primary)? 
    • By AJ-DE
      Hi All, I have a Star Adventurer but have had problems getting consistent results even when setup was as near to perfect as I can do, (this was focussed on due to this issue).

It took me a while to find out that when the eyepiece is is extended for focus it is very loose, so loose the graticule moves indipendantly of Polaris / background.

I have asked the supplier, "Astroshop.eu", to highlight the problem and ask for their feedback.

Question to Astroshop.eu:
      I have had a constant issue with Polar Alignment. As I cannot use it so often, (visibility), it has taken me a while to identify the problem. When I adjust the polar scope focus the eyepiece is so loose that the graticule moves a lot laterally in all directions in the view. I can send a video but I think you can  understand what I am saying.
      Basically I must be getting something very wrong or there is an issue with the product. The thread is so loose it is entirely unstable.
      Please advise what we can do about this.

Answer from Astroshop.eu:
      1. "I'am sorry to say, but this is very normal and does not affect the function of the star adventurer".
      2. "My collegue confirmed that this will not be a issue".

I have subsequently asked the guy to ask his colleague again, but some time has gone past and I have no further reply.

I think it is clear enough from the text and would really appreciate some experienced answer, any comments very welcome.
      Additionally here are the videos I have sent to show them, (hand holding the phone so a bit shaky but issue can be seen. I'd really appreciate some help before I spend too much time again tring to get it to work, for reference the eyepiece wobble is around 3.5 graticule intervals, so not small. As it's full of grease it took me a long time to see how poor quality the Polarscope build quality is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VC1p30t8n45oS6fkdxjkztrnoR1r7c6x/view?usp=sharing
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mjBaecqTmIhXgJUC-dERRYBb-LaryLMN/view?usp=sharing

Thank you all, Andy
    • By martinux
      Due to an unfortunate accident my SN10 primary mirror is broken. While it was an unwieldy beast and pretty much required a complete rebuild when I got it from the previous owner I really loved it.  
      My understanding, thanks to discussions between owners of this OTA, is that the SN10 used a spherical mirror. However Meade's representative did not wish to confirm this "proprietary information" after stating that they could not sell me a replacement. 
      So, I'm stuck with a bit of a quandary: do I roll the dice and attempt to get a spherical mirror constructed? (I doubt that non-parabolic mirrors are routinely manufactured and would probably come at a price-premium). I have read anecdotal discussions that the primaries are somehow "matched" to the schmitt correctors which, I must admit, makes no sense to me as I thought that a spherical mirror was manufactured with a uniform curvature. Thus, without more information, I'm thinking that this could be an expensive and ultimately unworkable solution. 
      Alternatively, do I cut my losses and replace it with something like a Skywatcher 250P?
      Any other suggestions? 

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice you can render.
    • By Hena
      Hello all, 
      I have come to you all with the "too much asked question". 
      I have been using the telescopes from local Astronomy group since few years, and now during these Corona times, it is harder. So now I have decided to invest some money on getting myself a scope, and would so sooooo would love your inputs. My main concerns are:
      I may use it only once a month or so, I wanted something that I can handle (maybe >10kg). 
      I don't own a car, usually I use a bicycle with a carrier to get around the city.
      (I had a look at the second-hand (5-7 yrs old) Skywatch MAK 127 Cassegrain that my friend was selling with its mount and accessories. I felt it was too massive for me. Especially if I am getting it to a park and setting it up alone).
        I would like to have a look at celestial objects and also at deep space. 
      As far as I know for deep space, I would need a f5 or something with similar focal ratio, and for planetary object a higher focal length (f10 or more) is better.
      I looked into MAK 90-1250, but felt like it might have very narrow FOV. So I am lost here.
        My budget is small (I know that is the biggest problem). I can spare maybe 200€ to 250€. I know its not enough, so I am hoping to start with a decent one (not awesome) and then work my way up. I so need your advice on what might be good parameters to look for
      - I was thinking Newtonian around f8 or so
      - Since its my first scope, maybe get something small and something that I can get comfortable with and use with a bit of ease before getting expensive ones.
      - Also definitely not a Dobsonian mount, I need something that I can set up on lawn or pavement. 
      https://www.bresser.de/en/Brand/Bresser/BRESSER-Venus-76-700-AZ-Reflector-telescope-with-Smartphone-Camera-Adapter.html 
      Is this a good one to start with? Look at planets and maybe some deep sky ones
        https://www.astroshop.de/teleskope/celestron-teleskop-n-127-1000-starsense-explorer-lt-127-az/p,65881#tab_bar_1_select
      I also has my eye on this, but I cant find much reviews  Any other options are quite welcome.
      I tried to setup and use the telescope in the picture, it was quite hard to do it alone and move it around.
      Thanks a lot. Sorry for the saga... 
      Hena

1417b25b-42c8-4909-b731-25c88c7dce42.jfif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.