Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep21_banner.thumb.jpg.d744e66b98367f1c5d57b7966c303f1b.jpg

LachlanR

Seeking supplier of mirror sets 100mm f4

I’m looking for a supplier of telescope quality mirror sets at 100mm f4, preferably parabolic. Does anyone have suggestions? I would specially commission if necessary. 

Edmund optics do 108mm f4.1 parabolic mirrors but the they are not cheap. 

Regards Andrew 

You could buy a Skywatcher Heritage 100P for just under £100 and use the mirrors from that. They use parabolic 100mm F/4 primaries.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, John said:

You could buy a Skywatcher Heritage 100P for just under £100 and use the mirrors from that. They use parabolic 100mm F/4 primaries.

Beat me to it, John :) 

I've owned a couple and the mirrors are good. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, andrew s said:

Edmund optics do 108mm f4.1 parabolic mirrors but the they are not cheap. 

Regards Andrew 

Thanks to all, seems a shame to cannibalise a telescope, but the skywatcher option looks like my only bet. 

• Like 1

What's this about? If it's for one off, try Astroboot who sell Sky-watcher sub-assemblies from time to time. If you need volume, you could try component suppliers in China.

58 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

What's this about? If it's for one off, try Astroboot who sell Sky-watcher sub-assemblies from time to time. If you need volume, you could try component suppliers in China.

I’m investigating setting up a craft business making antique desktop instruments and I was going to make a one-off to test the market with. Not aimed at the serious amateur, more the decorative market but with an instrument of reasonable quality that can be used. I doubt I would be making more than four or five a year ultimately. Finding a Chinese supplier would be interesting, (?contact) but just a pity I can’t find a reliable source closer.

Astroboot have several telescope mirrors for sale -  not the size you were looking for (but they do have 75mm, 112mm and 130mm).

Lots of Chinese parabolic mirrors on alibaba.com

Hi Lachlan, glad you found this website. Good luck!

Edited by rwilkey

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By StarFiveSky
      Hi, I recently looked into telescope's & dso's again due to an interesting sight in the night sky 😉. 
      I wanted to get into telescope's etc... but my budget and other things got in the way. 
      This time there's no budget limit (that doesn't mean I'm bill Gates though).
      My main concern is size since I will carry the telescope with my bare hands (bag).
      I don't have a local astronomy club or telescope shop around so I don't know if an 8" Newtonian is too bulky/big. 
      Can someone post comparison pictures, if you have an 8" telescope (preferably newtonian, width and length)?
      Secondly I want to see dso's in the future (firstly beginner objects etc...) so the 8" is more adequate than the 6", but if an 8" is too big then I am okay with a 6" as long as it's much more portable. 
    • By adamgyenge
      Helios 8" Newtonian telescope OTA. Equivalent with Skywatcher Explorer 200P.
      Has some cosmetic markings, but otherwise in excellent condition.
      Included:
      - 1.25" and 2" eyepiece adapters
      - 9x50 finderscope
      - long Vixen style dovetail
      Price: £130 (negotiable)

Celestron Astromaster Kit is available for £20 extra
      Mount not included.
      Pick up only in Oxford.

• By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      Is anyone here using the TS Photon 6" F4 newtonian? I'm about to purchase it but I have some doubts and questions:
      1- Does it hold collimation well, at least in a single session?
      2- Is it impossible to balance in DEC due to its small dovetail or is it possible but harder?
      3- Is the focuser rigid enough or does it introduce tilt?
      4- Will collimating it be a nightmare?
      5- I'm really picky when it comes to coma, should I expect some coma on edges even while using the Skywatcher Aplanatic F4 CC?
      6- All in all, do you advice me to buy it or have some other option in the same price range.
      Cheers!
      Anthony
    • By MonteTheMagnificent
      Hello all,

I am looking into making a hobby out of spectroscopy but don't exactly know where to start.
      All I can really go off is a high school education of physics and the various reading that one usually does when looking into something new.
      The main questions are, essentially;
      1. What is the best spectrometry equipment for an amateur like myself?
      I have little to no knowledge on all the necessary equipment, so any recommendations would be very much appreciated. For any suggestions, if you wouldn't mind giving a reason as to why you recommend a said product, I will take this information with great appreciation.
      In terms of a camera, I've read that CCD monochrome cameras are the best. How does a DSLR rank against this though?
      In terms of a telescope, should I be looking at one with a specific aperture range? If so, are there any other properties I should be looking at?
      Is a grating better than a prism? Why?
      What software is the most effective and easiest to use?
      Do I need some sort of focusing device?
      2. How do you collect spectral data using the technology?
      Is it as simple as pointing at a star and recording the acquired data?
      How long should I view the chosen star? Is it a photo or a video?

I would assume that these questions have been asked plenty of times, so any links to other forums which discuss the same questions and topics I am raising will be very helpful as well.
      Any type of reply is welcome. As an amateur, anything is helpful.

Looking forward to discussing this with you all.

Monte.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.