SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

StarSense with CG5-GT

Mark in Macc

Hi all, it's been a while since I was on the forum due to work and home life pressures, but I have recently been enthused by an astro friend of mine who purchased a StarSense for his AVX mount. I have a CG5-GT mount purchased around 2010 (one of the last ones I think) and I'm interested to know if anyone has any experience with this set up. My mount is bulletproof and never fails me. I know it's getting on a bit, but I don't really need to update at the moment for visual only. A few questions below if anyone can help:

Where to attach the StarSense camera? I have a C9.25 with finder scope attached. Does the StarSense replace the finder scope or should it be installed as well as the finder scope? If so, then where can it be attached on the OTA?

Do new StarSense units still need to have the firmware updated out of the box? Are they now shipped with up to date firmware?

Will I need to update the firmware on my mount?

Are there still some versions of the CG5-GT mount that are not compatible? If so, how do I find out if my mount is compatible or not?

Questions, questions....

The directions that cone with the starsense tell you to remove the finder, don't do it initially...

I took mine out for its first light to my dark site and the alignment failed..had to go home as I couldn't star align( removed finder)

So decided to do its next outing at home..

Things didn't go to well, the shop where I bought it wasn't helpful,  celestron wasn't much help either..

Cut my losses and got rid of it.. no positives here...useless bit of kit .. I was mis sold it as a polar alignment aid, sorry but it's a star alignment aid,  and only if it works..