SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planet killer

Kn4fty

A few months ago, a coworker gave me a scope his grandfather bought and stored away. It was never used. It was an ETX 90 RA in new condition. I had named the scope Cassini. Tonight it was time to see what it could do. I had never used MAK before, much less owned one before this. I had heard people refer to them as planet killers due to outstanding performance. Well I'll believe it when I see it! I had planned to view Jupiter, Epsilon Lyrae, and Albireo first. Then I was going to try some star clusters. Well sometimes plans fall apart!

I first tried to find Jupiter. I popped in a 26mm plossl and looked in to go ahead and get focus. Nothing but deep dark blackness! Hahahaha I didn't unscrew the objective cover! I remove the dew shield, take off the cover and replace the dew shield. I look in and focused on a bright star. Next I point the scope at Jupiter and peer into the finder.....well fiddlesticks!!! I had forgotten to align it. No big deal. I sighted down the tube and looked on the EP. 

WOW!!!!! There it was in all its glory! Even as small as it appeared, it was very sharp and crisp. The detail was just staggering! The equatorial bands were super sharp. The four Galilean moons were sharp bright pin points. Io to the left of the disc, with Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto to the right. I took a moment to align the finderscope on Jupiter and got back to the awesome view! I increased the mag and added an 82a light blue filter. This revealed temperate details and polar shading. It was all in crisp detail! I now understand why MAKS are planet killers! I had fantastic views in my reflectors over the years, but none compared to the sharpness of the ETX 90. 

By this time I had forgotten about doubles and clusters. I swung the scope to Saturn and looked in the finderscope. I centered the planet and looked into the 26mm EP I had put back in. As tiny as the planet was, it was obviously a disc surrounded by a sharp ring. This was despite the hazy sky getting even hazier! I put in the 9mm plossl and focused. Gorgeous sharp view with Cassini's division stellaring in and out. I put on the 82a filter, but removed it quickly. The haze was getting thicker and darkening the planet. I next decided to push the envelope and raise the mag ever so slightly. I popped in the 26mm into a 3x Barlow. This gave crisp views that would occasionally soften, then crisp back up. Cassini's division was no longer stellaring. It also revealed polar shading and a lighter and wider equatorial region. By this time the haze turned into full blown clouds. So I packed up.

Little Cassini performed amazingly! I now officially have a scope for rocking the planetary views! Its also official that I'm a MAK fan!!

Keep looking up!!

Rob

Edited by Kn4fty
  • Like 15

Nice one Rob. There are times when a small scope can best big ones, and particular at the moment with the planets down low that is the case quite often. Glad the little scope is giving good results, what a lovely gift!

• Like 1

They are good aren't they. Astro's best kept secret in some respects. For such small compact things, they sure punch well on the Planets & the Moon. Easy to handle, and more importantly FUN!

Enjoy....

• Like 1

Thanks Stu. It really surprised me on its performance. I was just completely floored! Today I plan on finishing up the equatorial wedge for it I've been working on. Its going on vacation with me this Thursday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

They are good aren't they. Astro's best kept secret in some respects. For such small compact things, they sure punch well on the Planets & the Moon. Easy to handle, and more importantly FUN!

Enjoy....

Yeah! I have a feeling that Copernicus, my 8" newt, is going to get a break for awhile. 😂

• Haha 1

Thanks for this Rob. It's always a pleasure to read visual reports from smaller scopes. Often times time is limited and without too much hassle or breaking a back there is a wealth of wonder to see with a small aperture scope. The other night I was out with a 76mm frac and spent a calm hour just enjoying the GRS and Europa shadow transit. Sure, under my average sky conditions this scope isn't going to be busting open globulars or tweaking arms in far away galaxies but engaging with the cosmos with gear that actually encourages that engagement is - as you have demonstrated - what makes this hobby meaningful.

Edited by Rob Sellent
  • Like 2

Yes! Absolutely nothing wrong with small scopes. Sometimes I take my ETX 70 out when my time is limited. Im leaving on vacation tonight and the mak is going with me. On Saturday my brother and I will be going to the Cincinnati observatory to view Saturn thru their scopes. Afterwards, the mak has a date with Jupiter!

9 minutes ago, Kn4fty said:

Yes! Absolutely nothing wrong with small scopes. Sometimes I take my ETX 70 out when my time is limited. Im leaving on vacation tonight and the mak is going with me. On Saturday my brother and I will be going to the Cincinnati observatory to view Saturn thru their scopes. Afterwards, the mak has a date with Jupiter!

Nice one!.. Enjoy your visit and Holiday :)

• Thanks 1