Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheapest way to connect an AZ-GTi to an ASI 178MM to a DSLR lens

Ags

There are adapters available on Teleskop Express that will do this for EUR 100-160, but after adding in the needed spacing rings the price has gone up another 20 euros or so.

So today I had this idea: SkyWatcher L-bracket connected to the photo thread at the back of my ASI, and then a ZWO lens adapter and then my EF 100/2.8 Macro lens.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/skywatcher-l-bracket-dovetail.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-adjustable-eos-lens-to-t2-adapter-for-all-asi-cameras.html

Will this work? Is it putting too much strain on the camera (the macro lens is my heaviest lens)? I certainly wouldn't be trying anything heavier.

Perhaps I can add one of these so I can mount 1.25 filters in the train: 

Does anyone have experience with any of these items?

Edited by Ags

• 3 weeks later...

I have the AZGTI mount which I use in EQ mode. On it I have a 300mm canon lens with either a DSLR or an ZWO camera.

The most balanced way is to use a Tripod Collar, round the lens £11 on Amazon and attach that to a short Vixen type dovetail bar around £20 , although you can pay up to £100. Make sure you get one with a captive screw designed for mounting camera, like this one:.   This arrangement allows you to balance the camera in the Vixen mount by sliding the bar.

The ZWO adapter you quote should work too.

Edited by maxchess
typo
  • Like 1

I have been looking for a tripod collar for my main lens - EF 100/2.8 (note: not "L") but the only collars I can find are for the L version.

Also, i don't want to spend too much money on the EF 100/2.8 as I intend to swap it for an EF 100/2.0 eventually.

• 2 months later...

In the end I did this. €140 all told. The counterweight is temporary and too light, but it fits into the "budget" category and I think it will double as a neat sighting bar (in the absence of an RDF). Gotta paint that wall one day...

IMG_20191109_143549100.thumb.jpg.7bf9cb2cc46ddb08de4238734848f8c7.jpg

Edited by Ags

• 3 weeks later...