Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White oval on Jupiter?

Stu

Just getting some good views of Jupiter with the 8" f8, unexpected clear skies. 

GRS is just coming in to view, but towards the other limb on the SEB I can see quite a big white oval. Anyone else out there seeing the same?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, John said:

Thats a very interesting sighting Stu.

No observing possible here due to clouded out S/SE aspect but I hope "Stus Spot" hangs around for a few days :smiley:

Thanks John. I don't think I've ever knowingly spotted one before, but this seemed pretty large and right on the SEB, probably 2/3rds of the way across the air as GRS came on the other side. I'm sure it wasn't a floater too!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Better hurry Chris, it is heading off towards the limb!

I've had a quick look around and can only find an empty bog roll tube and a pint glass. I might have to pass tonight but hopefully someone imaged it so I can check out the oval :) 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I'm curious about this oval, ill take a look tonight, hopefully will be in view, jupiter still boasts quite a bit of detail from where i am.

I'm sure it will have rotated out of view by now unfortunately. Might have to wait a few nights before it is well placed again.

6 minutes ago, U Cyg said:

I think that you are probably seeing Oval BA, I imaged it a couple of weeks ago (14th July) and posted in the Planetary Imaging section.

Angie

Thanks very much for that Angie. I checked your images and am assuming Oval BA is the one circled in red? If so then it is not that as it is too far South from the feature I saw and too far ahead of GRS.

Interestingly though there is something on the SEB which looks in exactly the right place, which I've circled in blue. Perhaps this has developed into something more obvious now?

Thanks for your post, very helpful 👍

20190806_130406.png

20190806_130424.png

• Like 2

Right, so by a process of sheer guess work, I reckon that Stu's Spot should be centre disk around 10pm tomorrow night ie just as GRS is rotating into view.

Let's see if I was imagining it or not ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Stu, yes, Oval BA is the one circled in red.  I did notice the other area when processing the images but I couldn't see it on any other images either here or on Cloudy Nights, so just forgot about it.  Actually there is an image of the same area on Cloudy Nights today by Mauricev. 

Anyway, glad the pics helped you to pinpoint the area you were talking about, and I think Stu's Spot is a great name for it! 😉  I wish my eyes could pick out details like this but with floaters and cataracts it isn't so easy any more.  Clear skies for you for tomorrow night.

Angie

• Like 1

Thanks Angie. I checked out those images and the one from yesterday shows the wrong part of the disk. There is another from 31st July where I can see a small oval in the right place but what I saw last night was much more noticeable.

Roll on Wednesday night! Forecast looks promising at the moment.

29 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Stu and everyone else on this tread give me inspiration. My future aim is to be able to contribute to this topic but I am a little short of aperture at present. Keep up the great work as I can’t see anything like this detail and it keeps me informed.

Marv

Any aperture is good Marv, so please do contribute your own observations. I enjoy seeing what I can achieve with little scopes, my smallest being a 65mm TAL Alkor newt; spotting the GRS and shadow transits is a nice challenge with that 👍😁

Thanks for the encouragement. I am using an Orion space probe 130st newt on an NEQ5 synscan v5.

I have a small box of Plossl’s a Barlow and a hand full of colour filters. I find the biggest drawback with this ota is the focuser. Sorry Orion, but a horrible plastic little wobbly thing fixed by three screws.

I can see the two main equatorial weather bands, the GRS, the four Galilean satellites. Managed a shadow transit a little while back but can’t get anymore detail.

Father Christmas is being strong armed into bringing me a 200 PDS end of this year. I have also ordered a 2 inch Crayford focuser for the 130st so perhaps I can contribute a little before Xmas.

living in hope Marv

• Like 1

Good stuff Marv, I'm sure the 130mm is capable of plenty even while you are waiting for the 200p. This is a report I made using my Heritage 130p to split some tight doubles which might be something to try.

• Like 1

Right, I think I've tracked down an image posted on an Astro Facebook group I belong to (hope that doesn't get me sacked as a mod 🤣🤣) by a chap called Scott Dearinger.

This seems to show an oval in exactly the right place, although when I saw it, it appeared to be bigger. Guestimation is 10pm for it to be well placed tonight so hopefully it will be visible to some of us through the clouds!

Do let me know if you have any luck.

FB_IMG_1565158346846.jpg

20190807_071256.jpg

• Like 1

So much cloud to dodge this evening - difficult to get more than a few seconds on Jupiter so I don't think I'll be able to confirm your oval sighting Stu. Is it better for you tonight ?

18 minutes ago, John said:

So much cloud to dodge this evening - difficult to get more than a few seconds on Jupiter so I don't think I'll be able to confirm your oval sighting Stu. Is it better for you tonight ?

Similar experience for me John. I had a little longer on it than you by the sounds of it, but the seeing in between the clouds was so poor I couldn't really see much detail. Couldn't even detect GRS coming around the corner.

Perhaps it will hang around for another few rotations if we are lucky. Clouded over now.

Morning @Stu 

Having read your thread earlier this week I noticed this on my Twitter feed today. Could the two be related as Heidi does refer to “another” ?

The link to the animation is below the photo and looks a similar place to your narrative although I think the date doesn’t tally ?

CB093482-BC30-427E-A573-AF7D992AB3FF.thumb.png.c603e987dd540d3b8f649548716e865e.png

Edited by Stargazer McCabe
  • Like 1