Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking to purchase a telescope

Hello!

Just moved out to the country from the city, and am completely in awe of the star gazing we have out here.

Looking to buy my first telescope and have no clue.

Want to view stars, planets and the moon....

Have absolutely no idea about any of this.

Any help would be fantastic. What I've seen, they have some that allow my phone to take photos. That sounds cool but don't want to jump in without any knowledge.

Looking for info, suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by Istand4Flag
Spelling

Hi,

Welcome to SGL. I am fairly new to astronomy myself but I can highly recommend the Skywatcher 200P dobsonian telescope for ease of use and some great sights. I am sure others will give you their advice soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. What sort of budget do you have in mind for the telescope? 
  2. Would you prefer a manual telescope, one that tracks objects once you have located them, or one that finds and tracks objects? 

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a telescope that advertises being able to fit your phone to it. There are only a couple of bright objects that this will work for and adapters can be bought separately. Generally, the telescopes that include them are low end. 

42 minutes ago, Istand4Flag said:

Looking to buy my first telescope and have no clue.

That's typical but the first instrument should a binocular, the most popular and multipurpose stargazing binocular is an 8x40 or a 10x50. Going straight from the naked-eye, full-sky view to a 40x or 50x magnification that's typical low-power for a scope is too much of a jump. Imagine you want to examine small insects in a large expanse of dead leaves, going straight to a microscope without first looking with a magnifier will have you wonder what part of the space you're looking at. And it will be difficult to find a target again after you've left it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ricochet said:
  1. What sort of budget do you have in mind for the telescope? 
  2. Would you prefer a manual telescope, one that tracks objects once you have located them, or one that finds and tracks objects? 

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a telescope that advertises being able to fit your phone to it. There are only a couple of bright objects that this will work for and adapters can be bought separately. Generally, the telescopes that include them are low end. 

I have a stargazing app on my phone and always known how to locate Jupiter and Saturn on my own, and use the app for constellations. I see so many stars and would like a closer view of things. I am about 125 miles west of Chicago now and have limited light pollution.

As for a budget, would like to stay under $500. But also would like something family and friends can look through when they come to visit.

I second 8" F/6 dobsonian telescope - it is a scope for life but also novice friendly (as any scope can be :D ).

Should fit within your budget and pair of binoculars with it is going to help as well.

Be sure to check it's size - it is not as small item - you need sufficient place to store it and it requires certain strength to carry it to observing site (be that back yard or remote site, it will fit a car but it's not small and light).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are three types of telescopes to consider at the stated budget: refractors, Newtonians/"Dobsonians", and Maksutov-Cassegrains.  The first two designs have been around since 1608 and 1668, respectively; the last, a Maksutov, was first developed in 1941.  I have examples of all three.  

Refractors use lenses to form an image.  Newtonians use mirrors.  Maksutovs use both.  For the outlay, a refractor would have the smallest aperture, whilst a Newtonian would offer the largest.  A 4" achromatic-refractor and mount would cost the same as a 8" Newtonian on a Dobson mount, aka a "Dobsonian".

The refractor... https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-21088-Omni-XLT/dp/B000NMOIOE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?keywords=celestron+omni+xlt+102+eq&qid=1564941319&s=electronics&sr=1-2-fkmr0

Refractors are generally what folks think of when they hear the word "telescope".  They require virtually no maintenance, they offer the sharpest and most contrasty images over all other designs, and are ready to observe with in about 15 minutes, if not immediately, and after taking it outdoors.

The Newtonian/"Dobsonian"... https://www.amazon.com/Zhumell-Deluxe-Dobsonian-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B002SCV6P6

Your own somewhat portable observatory is what that is.  Newtonians require collimation, the alignment of the optical system, perhaps upon arrival and occasionally thereafter on a regular basis.  The telescope is also known, colloquially, as "the best bang for the buck".  They tend to be ready to observe with within 30 minutes or so.  This is a U.S. listing for the Sky-Watcher 8" "Dobsonian"...

https://www.astronomics.com/sky-watcher-8-f-5-9-classic-200p-dobsonian-reflector.html

However, that one does not have metal springs for the primary-mirror cell, which would make collimation easier, although the rubber grommets used instead can be replaced with metal springs.

A Maksutov is something of a specialty, and usually acquired after a run with one or both of the other two.  It has the longest focal-length of any other design, and has been described as being "refractor like" in optical performance.  The design is ideal for medium-to-high powered views of the Moon, the planets, and the double-stars; not to mention quite a few deep-sky objects in addition.  A Maksutov takes the longest to acclimate to the outdoor conditions, and in being ready to observe with in about an hour or so.  Maksutovs require a dew-shield, and may perform best on a go-to mount...

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-NexStar-127SLT-Computerized-Telescope/dp/B0038LX8XE/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=celestron+127+slt&qid=1564942467&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Maksutovs are collimated by the user, but rarely so as they hold their collimation from the factory quite well, and are perhaps the most difficult of the mirrored designs to collimate.

Edited by Alan64
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Istand4Flag said:

But also would like something family and friends can look through when they come to visit.

I wanted to address that aspect separately.  Yes, share your experience with others.  There are many folks who conduct outreach with their telescopes, in encouraging others to look skyward.  The goal is to share their own experience and excitement, and to encourage others to consider having their own telescope for use at their homes, or to travel with even.  Here's another 8" "Dobsonian" that might interest you...

https://telescopes.net/store/explore-scientific-firstlight-8-dobsonian.html

That one has a rather innovative, and unique way of mounting the telescope, with tube-rings and rocker-trunnions, which would enable you to rotate the focusser, into most any position, and for more comfortable viewing for you and your family and friends.

There are also 10" "Dobsonians" available, and that would also knock your socks off under a dark sky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Los of good advice from the above.

You are of course having lots of (possibly new) words thrown at you. Maksutov, Dobsonian and more.
I feel information overload is impending. It happened to me when I first asked about an astronomy scope!

Why not spend a couple (or more) evenings at an astronomy club?
Members will usually be happy to discuss their choice of scopes. Maybe let you take a peek through.
The club may have it's own scopes.

There is (in my view anyway) no substitute for 'hands on' with any scope type and talking with owners.

Hope this helps, David.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A list of astronomy clubs in your area...

https://www.go-astronomy.com/astro-clubs-state.php?State=IL

That is, if you have a mind to and the time to engage in such.

Otherwise, there are only three designs of telescopes in the marketplace from which to choose, examples of which that have already been presented.  Telescopes are not like everyday items that are mass-produced.  Take breakfast cereals for instance.  There are more types of those on store shelves than you can shake a stick at; types of snack foods, too.  Whilst there are many telescopes for sale online, or within a brick-and-mortar shop locally, all of them fall under those few, three designs.  I started with a refractor, an achromat, and at the innocent, tender age of 9...

kit.jpg.53c9d5cfc7468fb4f58311b9f6678885.jpg

As you can see, it's been through the wringer.  I saw Saturn for the first time with that one, the very first object I ever saw, and with my late father.

Any questions?  We're here to help.  We love to help those first starting out.

10" dob all the way! Should be best bang for the buck, especially under dark skies. Big scope, but still portable. Dead simple to use, no tracking or goto stuff to mess with, just use sky safari etc to get an idea for your target and star hop manually to your destination. Collimation is easy once you've done it a few times. These come up frequently second hand as well in good condition. 

Welcome to SGL! i second checking out scopes at a club, there are clubs in just about every town in the US, best way to learned get pointed in the right direction, can't beat joining a club.

Edited by Sunshine

Of the three designs commonly encountered, telescopes in general come in all shapes and sizes.  I have this short, fast 6" f/5 Newtonian, and on a tripod-type alt-azimuth...

1252361524_6f5ra.jpg.890d8c72ecf930cbfd7530ba8e46991c.jpg

Alt-azimuth mounts are simple to use, and in directing the telescope up and down and left to right.  When tracking, I refer to its motions as the "staircase" method.

This is an example of a longer, slower Newtonian, and on an equatorial mount...

1753122472_6f10b.jpg.248d4a862f9ccbecfba995faa983e760.jpg

Equatorial mounts are not as simple to use, but they do allow one to track objects automatically with a motor-drive attached, keeping an object centered in the eyepiece for as long as they like.  The motions are also much smoother...

44215629_mountmotions2.jpg.998d28ddc194029e6edd21db7e8bf51b.jpg

...and as the telescope tracks across the sky.  Both types of mounts come in manual mode, where you use your hands to direct the telescope, and in a motor-driven mode, often with a computer integrated, or just a simple motor-drive.

The mount of a "Dobsonian" is a Dobson-type alt-azimuth, hence the telescope's moniker, and is usually constructed with rather heavy, plastic-covered particle-board, like that found in put-together furniture kits...

457205020_6f5w2a.jpg.9f5e631b1b5a23f53191fbbaee2eded4.jpg

Dobson alt-azimuth mounts are ground-based, without a tripod.  Whilst heavy, they are also quite sturdy and supportive of the telescope, and dead-simple to operate. 

This is a rather nifty kit.  6" of aperture puts on quite a show under darker skies, as I have experienced...

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Omni-XLT-150-Telescope/dp/B000NMOIP8/ref=asc_df_B000NMOIP8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312066954908&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2157160566106243571&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013737&hvtargid=pla-568711483159&psc=1

With the equatorial, you can attach a motor-drive, and keep the objects centered there in the eyepiece, motionless.  That way, when you want to show something to your family and friends, they wouldn't have to bump and nudge the telescope to find it again.  In my view, manual mounts are a one-person affair.

With refractors and Newtonians, what you see is what you get.  With a short telescope, the lower powers are favoured.  With a long telescope, the higher powers predominate.  With that 6" f/5 Newtonian, you can have both, from a low power of 19x(binocular-like), up to 200x and beyond with the aid of 2x and 3x barlows(microscope-like); and for observing the gamut, practically every object in the sky, satisfactorily. 

Edited by Alan64

The type of telescope is a personal choice.  Don't rush into buying your 'dream scope' or 'lifetime scope' - start with something small and easy to use, so if your interests are modified by experience, you have not sunk all your money into the wrong kit.

Quite a few people like Dobsonians, but at least check out the advantages of GoTo mounts.  They can make it far easier to find objects, and save large amounts of observing time, particularly valuable if you discover that you want to be looking at objects rather than searching for them. Personally, I found a non-GoTo 203mm Newtonian almost unusable.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

Welcome to the hobby :)I am a newbie myself and have started off with a Celestron 130EQ and 10x50 binoculars. Although this may not be the best scope out there, you can still see beautiful views of planets, moon and several objects from Messier catalogue. When family and friends come around (and weather is good) I have had the occasions to show them the rings of saturn, moons of Jupiter and the details on the moon just to name a few easy ones.

If you get a chance please read Astronomy Hacks book. A great read to help you get started.

7 hours ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

If non goto Dobsonions are (as you stated unusable) then why are they so popular with first time buyers and experienced astronamers. .????. 

I didn't say non-GoTo Dobsonians are unusable. I said that I found a non-GoTo Newtonian almost unusable. 

I suspect that first time buyers are attracted by the low pricing of Dobsonians (and they have yet to try finding objects with one.)

As for the experienced astronomers, different folks are looking for different things from the hobby. Some like to keep it simple, some enjoy star-hopping, and some people just don't get on with a box of electronics, and I entirely respect that. 

Professional astronomers use instruments with GoTo (or its professional equivalents), and some of them don't even look through a telescope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

and some of them don't even look through a telescope.

That day is not too far off when the next gen of young astronomers will be controlling the telescope with apps on their ipads/phones and viewing images directly on them in the comfort of their houses :)

The next star party could be held in a Pub that way! LOL

Edited by M55_uk

2 hours ago, M55_uk said:

That day is not too far off when the next gen of young astronomers will be controlling the telescope with apps on their ipads/phones and viewing images directly on them in the comfort of their houses :)

The next star party could be held in a Pub that way! LOL

We already use phones and iPads to control scopes, and with things like the ev scope objects will start to be viewed on screen much more often. To me this loses the direct connection with the sky, but I guess if the interest is there then it is all good.

Ref. the last two posts, EEVA (as we call it on Stargazers Lounge) has considerable potential for extending the power of telescopes, but those who have actually tried attaching a camera and getting an image on a screen will have a keener appreciation of the various difficulties involved. 

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

We already use phones and iPads to control scopes, and with things like the ev scope objects will start to be viewed on screen much more often. To me this loses the direct connection with the sky, but I guess if the interest is there then it is all good.

Looking forward to getting mine! I know it's going to be a hit at our club star parties. I will always have a love in my heart for visual observing though and will get out my 12" dob every chance I get. Having an e-scope like this setup next to the dob will show people what's really out there and why we need to protect the night sky as much as we possibly can before we lose it. It will also be useful to explain to them how Hubble and other space telescopes can give us so much more detail. I think it will be a great outreach tool, but whether I would recommend it to a novice I can't really say yet. Most likely not.

15 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Ref. the last two posts, EEVA (as we call it on Stargazers Lounge) has considerable potential for extending the power of telescopes, but those who have actually tried attaching a camera and getting an image on a screen will have a keener appreciation of the various difficulties involved. 

I've done it. I've used a camera on my 12" dob and it was certainly not easy. It's not exactly the most stable mount for something like that as it flexes and bounces a lot with the slightest gust. A small scope on an alt-az or EQ mount would be much better suited, but even then it would require a stiff mount and a calm wind.

Keeping it simple if you're a complete beginner - I recently got into the hobby with the same goals. I bought an Orion Astroview 9024 on an EQ2 mount for ~£200 and it's really got me way further into the hobby. Great views of Jupiter and Saturn, amazing moon detail, and good for stars.

I'd say the important aspects for planetary viewing are to go for a refractor rather than a reflector (the quality of the lens is higher which is a bonus for planetary viewing), a high f (focal ratio) number (f10 for example is good for planetary as it focuses on a smaller piece of sky and planets are small, f5 is better for a wider field of view for galaxies and nebulae), and an equatorial mount makes tracking objects across the sky very easy but you won't go wrong if you get an azimuth mount either.