Narrowband

Televue Apollo 11 mm eyepiece

Jarvo

Hi all. 

I was wondering if anyone (particularly our beloved FLO chums) has a release date for this little eyepiece. 

Magazines say “due in the Fall” which narrows it down a bit. 

Think there’s only 500 being made so hopefully we will get some over here?

Cheers

Jarvo

• Like 1

It will probably command a premium, but the current Naglers near that focal length go for $320 USD. I would say $400-500 USD wouldn't be out of the question. Will I get one? Probably not. Do I want one? Uh, yeah.

And it commands such a price why?  Because someone decided to print "Apollo 11" on the side?

Personally I think I'll ignore it.  I'm quite happy with the eyepiece collection that I already have.

James

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Regardless of the marketing hype, it sounds like a new and interesting eyepiece. I would be surprised if they don't expand this out in future with a range. Maybe they focused on the 11mm just for the anniversary?

Spec here found on CN which were from Astronomia I believe.

Tele Vue Apollo 11 Specifications*
Development team:  Paul Dellechiaie, Al Nagler, David Nagler
FL:  11mm
AFoV:  85 degrees
Eye Relief:  19mm
FS dis. (Effective):  16.2mm
Coatings:  Glass matched multi-coatings on all surfaces
Barrel dia.:  1.25” with 2” thread-on adapter
Filter Thd.:  1.25” and 2”
Length:  4.8”
Width:  2.13”
Weight:  21.6oz. (1.35lbs.)
Total production: Less than 300
Price: Not available at this time
Availability:  Fall 2019
*Specifications subject to change.”
The eyepiece has APOLLO 11 and Limited Edition imprinted on it.

I know production take a while - but I am still trying to figure out why they didn't release these for mid-July...🤔

Having said that - I am not paying more than my telescope cost (Apertura) for an eyepiece!

These things are soup cans though - wow.

4 hours ago, KingNothing13 said:

I know production take a while - but I am still trying to figure out why they didn't release these for mid-July...🤔

Having said that - I am not paying more than my telescope cost (Apertura) for an eyepiece!

These things are soup cans though - wow.

You just need to get yourself a more expensive telescope - then the A11 EP cost will seem like an acceptable fraction of the cost 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I thought this eyepiece might have been an "April Fool" excercise when it was 1st publicised back in April but I can see that it is a serious comemorative production piece now. I agree that it would have been nice if it's actual availability could have coincided with the dates of the Apollo 11 mission though.

Maybe it marks the start of the ultimate replacement of the long-lived Nagler line of eyepieces ?. Tele Vue say nothing to support this though.

I'll take a punt at £450 as the UK retail price, when it actually becomes purchasable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

Tend to agree with John, will I buy one absolutely not, still feel Ethos knocks the socks off the Nagler range.

Alan

I would assume the new eyepiece would be brought up to Delos/Ethos standards of contrast etc, sitting between them in terms of fov?

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

I would assume the new eyepiece would be brought up to Delos/Ethos standards of contrast etc, sitting between them in terms of fov?

I would lay money on it being top draw, proablby better than those offered by others, they have to be for people to pay the premium prices, they may even be better like reports that the DeLite range are super sharp, more so than Delos even.

Alan

• Like 1

It looks to me to have similarities to the ES 92º range (12 &  17º ?) when you see that ES have their own 68, 82 & 100º options.

A comparison of the Tv A11 and the ES 92- 12 would be interesting.

I still think (knowing Tv) the price will be closer to £1000 than it will be to £500.

I have no plans to buy one btw, as i much prefer the 2 eyed view and have everything i need (pretty much)