Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

heliumstar

£1k mistake?

I recently bought Canon 10x42 is binoculars. I bought them because I thought that 10x in normal binos will be too shaky. I just came back from optics shop nearby where I tried Opticron DBA VHD+. I was astonished at how steady I could hold them. On par if not better than my 8x42. Found them very easy to hold. Ergonomics for my hands are spot on. I also tried Swarovski 10x42 and was dissapointed. If anything Opticron was better in light transmission.

I went on to compare different 8x42 from Hawkee, GPO, Steiner, Vanguard, Opticron with my Opticron Oasis C+ and went away with 'meh'. There's more though. My 8x30 Kowa were on par with all of them. I am left confused and kind of dissapointed. Will certainly not be shelling more than 1k again for binos before I try them all.

This experience turned everything upside down and I am now looking at 10x50.

Btw ... my night observing is now mostly with binos. Went through a bunch of scopes and ended up with 8" SCT and binos. The scope is now only in use when I want to show the night sky to someone.

• Like 1

If visiting a showroom to assess and compare binoculars it is best to do so on a dull overcast day (most optics look good in bright sunshine). Also, try limiting your selection to three or four at a time, otherwise it can be difficult to remember each one. Then, having done that, reward the showroom owners by giving them the sale. Even if their price is a little higher than online retailers (prior to FLO I spent several years working in a showroom demoing binoculars). 

Two more tips:

The binocular you have with you is better than one left at home so do consider comfort and convenience. 

Choose the lowest magnification that fulfils your needs. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ah, just reread your post and I see you have already purchased a binocular. Then the best advice I can give you is ‘stay out of binocular showrooms’ 😁

Steve

• Like 1

It was indeed dull overcast at a time. Thanks for pointing this out. I was comparing one at a time with my 8x42. On the topic on awarding the sale. I wish I knew before about this shop nearby and will definitely buy from them in the future. It's at Willow's farm (near St. Albans). Nice day out with the family and daddy gets to play with binos as well :D

To tell you the truth I am more confused now. I thought it was a done deal with Canon but considering I can hold 10x steady without IS I am now on the lookout for 10x50. Not really sure what to do with Canon now :D I'll test it some more but higher end Opticrons (Japan) are really, really good. So sell Canon and get 10x42 Opticron plus some mid range 10x50. That's my train of thought at the moment.

Oh, and, yes! My Kowa 8x30 are stationed permanently in the glove box now.

Edited by heliumstar
added content

2 minutes ago, heliumstar said:

... higher end Opticrons (Japan) are really, really good. 

Indeed they are. 

Steve 

On 03/08/2019 at 17:36, FLO said:

If visiting a showroom to assess and compare binoculars it is best to do so on a dull overcast day

Shouldn't be too difficult in this country 😉

• Haha 1

I've not tried any IS binos but have seriously being considering them as people seem to swear by them, particularly for astronomy. Are you sure you could hold the Optricron's steady for long viewing sessions? Any way you could test them side by side with the Canon?

The only reason I ask is that I seem to be able to hold my binoculars steady during the day but at night my view can quickly disintegrate into a sea of smeared light trails! I'm not sure if the brain makes corrections with objects during the day but loses it's bearings at night with all the tiny light sources? 

11 hours ago, Icesheet said:

I've not tried any IS binos but have seriously being considering them as people seem to swear by them, particularly for astronomy. Are you sure you could hold the Optricron's steady for long viewing sessions? Any way you could test them side by side with the Canon?

The only reason I ask is that I seem to be able to hold my binoculars steady during the day but at night my view can quickly disintegrate into a sea of smeared light trails! I'm not sure if the brain makes corrections with objects during the day but loses it's bearings at night with all the tiny light sources? 

Interesting angle. I did think about this but there is more. There is something strange going on but I could handle Opticron 10x42 just as good as 8x42 if not better (better ergonomics with 10x42 although they look pretty much the same). No visible shakes at all. You kind of put some doubt in me so now I have to go and try it again before I splash another nice holiday into binoculars.

What is also interesting is that I have no issue spending quite substantial amounts of money for binoculars. That was not the case with telescopes since Tak 4" is still not sitting here with me. Might be due to binoculars being more versatile and 'instant' and my mind is playing tricks on me that they are actually more valuable. I mean the life situation and weather is such that I can't take the telescope out every day while binos are use it everyday item. Spot the planes, bird watching ( have to admin I never thought I would do that ) and quick look between the clouds.

As with mounts, scopes and eyepieces this is a journey until you find something that is the best for you.

Edited by heliumstar
added content + spelling
  • Like 1

Sorry, I’m not trying to put doubt in your mind here! I guess there is no harm in double checking before you invest more. 

12 hours ago, heliumstar said:

What is also interesting is that I have no issue spending quite substantial amounts of money for binoculars. That was not the case with telescopes since Tak 4" is still not sitting here with me. Might be due to binoculars being more versatile and 'instant' and my mind is playing tricks on me that they are actually more valuable. I mean the life situation and weather is such that I can't take the telescope out every day while binos are use it everyday item. Spot the planes, bird watching ( have to admin I never thought I would do that ) and quick look between the clouds.

As with mounts, scopes and eyepieces this is a journey until you find something that is the best for you.

I can completely sympathise with this. I recently set out with a modest budget for binos for my holiday and now I’m sitting  here with Swarovison 8.5x42 and Zeiss Victory 8x25 (and that’s after getting rid of Pentax ZD 10x50 ED!) Don’t get me wrong I appreciate the optical excellence but did I really need them??  I am now also looking at birds and nature, something I thought I would never do!

Seems like we are in the boat here 😊

I would be interested to hear any further thoughts you have following tests 👍🏻

There are huge inter-individual differences in how steady people can hold binoculars. I can hold my Helios LightQuest 16x80  binoculars quite readily, but others struggle with 10x50s. I must say that both monopod and p-mount add a lot of stability, but on most sessions I just hold my big bins in my hands. As ever, your mileage may vary.