Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sir Patrick Moore.

Nigella Bryant

Just been watching the sky at night 700th edition back in 2011 on YouTube and the question came up, "What influenced them to go into astronomy" and all said, "Patrick Moore." Patrick Moore and the sky at night influenced me back in the 70's. 

Question, "how many of us on here were influenced by the sky at night programme and Sir Patrick Moore?" 

• Like 3

I remember watching it in the 70s as a kid and while not maybe to understand what they were talking about I knew I loved it.  Patrick was different from a normal presenter" you could tell that he knew what he was talking about and that he was passionate about his subject. The title music alone (At the Castle Gate by Sibelius) alone had me hooked. 

Jim

• Like 2

Always saw adverts in newspapers as a child back in the 1960's. The ads claimed to bring the moon, planets and stars into your garden. Patrick Moore always mentioned that a three inch refractor was a good telescope. The shop 'Scientific & Technical' always displayed one in their window. Because Patrick Moore said this, I eventually got that telescope. 

Edited by Guest
Spelling mistake.

Yep, started watching the sky at night back in the early 70`s along with the moon apollo missions and the rest is history, started a life long interest in the heavens above, i sometimes take a break from astro but always come back to it, like now im back after taking a break, just checked the maksutov and it has faired well for its layup, just need the weather to play fair

• Like 2

Certainly a huge influence, but I was already hooked when he was the guest of honour at our local church fete (St. Bartholomew, Burstow, nr. Horley in Surrey) in the mid 1960's.  It was the church where the first Astronomer Royal, John Flamsteed, was rector and is buried.  He (Sir PM, not John Flamsteed) signed a copy of "The Sky at Night" for me...

SkyAtNightCover.thumb.jpeg.f10df875de617d91d06137db88485dee.jpegSkyAtNightSignature.thumb.jpeg.6e18d991cba280760d80cf07840ae036.jpeg

• Like 6

I watched every episode but hated his lack of interest in telescope making. <sniff>

The observation side of things is just a hobby. Making telescopes is "a calling." :wink2:

I'll get my coat.  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I met Sir Patrick twice and he autographed one of his books for me.

I've read many of his books and watched the "Sky at Night" programme since for over 30 years.

So, yes, he has been a big influence on me.

Incidently, the reason that he didn't make scopes himself was that he had no confidence at all in his DIY skills. As far as I'm aware, he had great admiration for those who could and did make their own instruments :smiley:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first influence into stargazing was via my father who pointed out the more obvious constellation and stars. Although aware of the Sky at Night program and of course of Sir Patrick as the public face of astronomy the program was on after my bed time. After that a school friend who was very definitely a young and enthusiatic astronomer with a proper telescope (and did a convincing Sir Patrick impression!) hooked me into astronomy as a proper interest. Pocket money was saved and the Observers book of astronomy was purchased and I still have it. I grew up with the space race and particularly the Apollo program and with that came an appreciation of Sir Patricks great passion for astronomy and particularly the moon. With later teenage years came other interests and distractions but after a long long gap the astronomy bug bit me again and with that Sky at Night became compulsory and a full appreciation of just what a key roll he has played in the astro community.

Edited by Alfian
  • Like 2

Yes  Sir Patrick originally got me hooked. I have a large number of the Sky at Night programs on  12 DVD's. The world will never see the likes of him again. Proof that sheer enthusiasm is catching. He knew his way around the sky as if it was his own backyard. He would never have needed Goto or the like..................Dave

• Like 1

Yes he influenced me. Even at junior school there was one of his books I read.

Not mentioned here was the time that Sky At Night was on the TV.
As a child, I wanted to watch the programme but it was always really late at night.
I had to wait until I was little older.

I'm talking here about programmes tranmitted for 405 line black & white TV. Pre colour broadcast. Pre VHS/Betamax videos. Never mind this funny interweb and BBC iplayer.

• Like 3

Wow...the observer's book of astronomy.  I recall being bought this when I was about 7 - it set me on a the path.  Unfortunately my copy was lost long ago; still got a 1972 copy of Guide to the Planets though.

• Like 1

I am sorry to say that I never met Sir Patrick Moore, but I clearly remember him and the sky at night programme on television. I was born in 1972 so the man was already a monument as I became aware of this most unusual educator of the general public.

I remember as a youth being utterly blown away by his glockenspiel playing which I was totally unaware of. Unforgettable man and truly one of a kind.

Marv

We were on a motoring & camping tour of Southern England after I passed my driving test.
So I used that as an excuse to detour to Selsey and peer at PM's house.
We did Wales the following week but that was back in the last century.
I never approved of his telescope in a "greenhouse."
Though it was certainly a very attractive building.
It probably attracted a lot of sunshine too.  :glasses1:

• Like 1