SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar imaging kit

Thalestris24

8 minutes ago, Rusted said:

I tried the 10:1 slow-mo knob but even at maximum motor speed on 12V the focuser movement was glacial. Even now it takes 18 seconds per cm of travel flat out.

That doesn't sound right - do you not have a fast/slow mode? Maybe it's because your using it in 'step-up' mode with the belt rather than direct drive intended. And surely once set, focus should only need tiny movements for fine adjustment anyway? (It's been about 3 years since I last used mine so forgive me if I'm way off base here!)

Louise

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

That doesn't sound right - do you not have a fast/slow mode? Maybe it's because your using it in 'step-up' mode with the belt rather than direct drive intended. And surely once set, focus should only need tiny movements for fine adjustment anyway? (It's been about 3 years since I last used mine so forgive me if I'm way off base here!)

Louise

Hi Louise,

Thanks. I need masses of focuser movement for all my various set-ups. The present belt drive ratio is perfect for fine focusing.
I haven't had a chance to use the brand new HitecAstro V2 DC controller because it doesn't do 64 bit. [Yet?]
It totally crashes SharpCap. Demanding a full Windows Restart every time. So I had to set SharpCap "Hardware" to ASCOM focuser simulation.

6 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Yeah,

just drop the drive belt for major movements....

the 10:1 connection gives the fine focus control you really need for precise imaging focus.

I don't want to be dropping the belt. Which is often too high or too far away to reach on my 7" f/12 refractor while I'm at the monitor.
A quick turn of the spare direct drive knob gives me an initial set-up. Then I move back to the screen and the motor focusing.
Even then it often takes patience to find which way to find best focus on the limb or surface detail.

26 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Hi Louise,

Thanks. I need masses of focuser movement for all my various set-ups. The present belt drive ratio is perfect for fine focusing.
I haven't had a chance to use the brand new HitecAstro V2 DC controller because it doesn't do 64 bit. [Yet?]
It totally crashes SharpCap. Demanding a full Windows Restart every time. So I had to set SharpCap "Hardware" to ASCOM focuser simulation.

I believe the hitec controller should work in 32 or 64 bit but it may require a particular Framework version. I think even if it throws up an ascom error it should still work - but I'm guessing here!

Louise

The Hitec controler driver only works with 32bit software at the moment although works with Windows 64 bit. This is because it’s an old driver written before there were 64bit apps.They are rewritting the driver and will release a true 64 bit driver very shortly. I’ll contact the software man at Hitec again tomorrow for an update.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

The Hitec controler driver only works with 32bit software at the moment although works with Windows 64 bit. This is because it’s an old driver. They are rewritting the driver and will release a true 64 bit driver very shortly. I’ll contact the software man at Hitec again tomorrow for an update.

Oh, ok :) 

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Thalestris24 said:

Um, I don't have one! That's an old post... I was considering getting one a while back but didn't in the end.

Louise

Thanks so do you rate the scope any pros or cons. Thanks for you help just considering whether to purchase a Solar Scout