SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Milky way, Jupiter and Rho Ophiuchi

I remembered that I had this data unprocessed too so I gave it a try.

The dynamic range is huge on this one, from the darkest areas in the galaxy to the brightest. To bring up selectively some regions I'd need to make some uneven masks which is not really my style. So the image is a bit flat compared to others, but I tried to display it more "naturally" if that's allowed to be said.

For this image I used data from multiple sessions as follows:

Canon 550D + Canon 50mm F/1.8 @F/2.8; Canon 6D + 70-200mm F/4 L @70mm wide open; - 3 panels with each setup, 21-27 min each panel with each camera

Canon 550D + Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm F/3.5 wide open; 2 panels covering the galaxy region, 15min exposure for each panel; 4 panels covering the Rho Ophiuchi area, 15-51min exposure/panel

Canon 6D + Canon 70-200 F/4 L @200mm wide open; 4 panels covering the Rho Ophiuchi area, same as above.

And here's the picture:

Galaxy_RGB_all5_066_scnr.thumb.jpg.3b1bd8ae0cf02c2e8137314b14fe0d8b.jpg

Clear skies!

Alex

Edited by alexbb
  • Like 10

Wonderful image. 

I have to say I do enjoy seeing all the M/W images that are posted on the forum. When I was young, our skies would have had to been classified as a bortle 1. Memories of the Milkyway still stand out in my grey matter.

On 03/08/2019 at 11:56, maw lod qan said:

Wonderful image. 

I have to say I do enjoy seeing all the M/W images that are posted on the forum. When I was young, our skies would have had to been classified as a bortle 1. Memories of the Milkyway still stand out in my grey matter.

Thank you! Bortle 1 is something I have to try once.

I updated the original image with a higher resolution one.