SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Camera for H-alpha Imaging

Mandy D

I've just bought a Daystar Solar Scout 60mm DS for H-alpha imaging of the Sun. I am now looking for a suitable camera to use with it. I know I could use my DSLR, but for H-alpha that is not going to give best results, so am looking for a dedicated monochrome imaging camera. I have identified the ZWO ASI178MM as a possibility that fits my budget and has a large enough (I think) sensor to image the entire Solar disc if I use a 0.5 focal reducer which will give me a total focal length of 465 mm.

Does anyone have any experience of this camera in this application, or know if it will be suitable? I know it does not have an IR blocking filter, which I understand is an advantage for H-alpha. The spec is available here:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/zwo-asi178mm-usb-30-monochrome-cmos-camera.html

Thanks

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

I use the ASI178MM with my Lunt 60 Ha solar scope and with a focal length of 500mm the full disc just fits on the sensor. There are no Newton's Rings effects either which is good, although they are quite evident if I use a 2.5 x Powermate. The Powermate added no extra detail anyway as the 178 camera image scale without it is well matched to the Dawes limit of a 60mm aperture scope. Here's an image I took in May with the 178.

196491508_Sun_18_01_00PS3.jpg.32605dc232942f95ff235242854ccf53.thumb.jpg.0b40297cdb6a8d1091c1e033318124da.jpg

Alan

Edited by symmetal