Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recent RedCat activity

Lead_weight

I've really taken a liking to this little scope. I think it's reached its final form. ZWO ASI1600MM-C main camera, EFW8 with Astrodon 5nm narrowband and LRGB filters, ZWO Mini guide scope, ZWO ASI120MM Mini guide cam, Baader Sky Surfer V red dot finder, Moonlite focuser, and CGX mount.

I've spent some time imaging the North American and Pelican nebula, as well as the Veil nebula. Had about 6 clear nights in a row. I had roughly 16 hours total on NA nebula in SHO pallet, and I did the Veil on the last night, only 3 hours each channel for bi-color (the OIII channel was slightly out of focus, hence the larger stars in the image). I plan on going back and adding more data for the Veil, and intend on replacing the out of focus frames.

Fvdcl5qLPxs6_1824x0_wmhqkGbg.thumb.jpg.5bfbb7bcf35179c285f3d16b4db54742.jpg

o7Obyj5i5zIp_1824x0_wmhqkGbg.thumb.jpg.d4ff2814f800f487f4962d4659e33723.jpg

IMG_0367.thumb.jpg.4c0773e0d9bbbe3430a39e13899886b8.jpg

Edited by Lead_weight
  • Like 10

Tell me more about this Moonlite focuser. I'm having difficulty nailing fine focus with the helical focuser on the RedCat. Is this a home built rig using one of their focus motors and a belt or do they actually sell one to use specifically with helical focusers?

4 hours ago, Buzzard75 said:

Tell me more about this Moonlite focuser. I'm having difficulty nailing fine focus with the helical focuser on the RedCat. Is this a home built rig using one of their focus motors and a belt or do they actually sell one to use specifically with helical focusers?

If you send them an email telling them you have a RedCat, they’ll email you back a word doc showing their camera lens focus system. (It’s not on their website.) That’s essentially what it is. It comes with the focus motor, belt, and mounting bracket. I did have to change the dovetail to the 11” ADM vixen dovetail with adjustable mounting holes. This allowed me to align the belt with the focus barrel. Also, focus tension is very tight, and initially the belt slipped when reversing direction. The RedCat has a focus tension adjuster at the front of the focus barrel that needs to be loosened. 

• Thanks 1